homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Saturday, July 17, 2004

30 Tall Tales #1: Malaysian Spider Monkey Mishap.

This is the first in a series of thirty of my best stories - one for every year I have been alive. Every word of this series will be true. Every detail accurate to the best of my memory. Truth is always stranger than fiction.

Holy Christmas. It was December 25th, 1995. I knew my day was destined to be weird when I awoke in a hotel room in Kota Kinabalu Malaysia, turned on the TV and learned that Dean Martin had died.

German tourists are the bane of my father's existence. If you run into one couple in your hotel lobby, rest assured there's at least another hundred nearby - as they always travel in large packs. They have this infuriating strategy of getting up before dawn, going down to the pool area of whatever resort they're occupying to "claim" every available chaise lounge for Germany - by laying their towels over them. Then they go back to their rooms to continue to sleep off all of the schnitzel and Rumplemintz from the night before. Usually until 11 am. A Beach Blanket Blitzkrieg.

+ =

On vacation the year before, close friends of my parents - who shall remain nameless - snuck out right after all the Germans had returned to their beds to rearrange the towels into an enormous swastika. My father's tactics are just slightly more subtle, and after he threw the towels of four still slumbering krauts into a pile on the patio, we sat down and set about discussing what we would do that day.

Resort pamphlets had advertised a tour where a guide takes your party by outboard motorboat around the South China Sea to a series of nearby islands. We located the dock where a group of fellow tourists was gathering and signed up for the next sortie. Soon two native Malaysians appeared with life jackets, fishing line and a cooler then instructed us to climb aboard.

The guide's name was Raphael, or "Raffi" as we began to refer to him. I am not sure if he appreciated the nickname, but we'd never met someone with the same name as our beloved Canadian children's singer. Raffi took us around to an island where we swam and were assured "No sharks, 100%!". I pulled on some fins and a mask and started chasing a squid to see if I would get inked. Then we fished with spools of line and pulled out some of the freakiest looking aquatic specimens this side of Atlantis. But nothing could prepare me for my lunch on "Monkey Island".

Raffi and his assistant grabbed the cooler and led us to an area where they started to prepare lunch. The island was about two square miles in size, with sandy beaches and a steep hill in the middle covered in jungle. I wandered away from my family, small disposable Kodak in hand, to explore a little bit. I came across a Japanese man and his son who were staring up at a tree and laughing. He reached into a bag and pulled out a piece of watermelon before throwing it straight up into the air. I followed the path of the watermelon's flight and noticed a monkey sitting in a high branch staring off into space. When the watermelon got up to him, he snatched it out of the air while looking in the opposite direction. The three of us had a giggle and I continued on my way. That's when I noticed that the island was literally crawling with spider monkeys.

Used to stupid tourists with "food source" stamped on their foreheads, a large pack of monkeys with absolutely no fear of humans stood in the tree line of the jungle - dashing out occasionally to steal apples, bags of chips, whatever was left unattended. I remembered the small Japanese child I had just met and wondered if he might end up a series of large monkey turds.

The little buggers seemed small enough, and I decided to follow a path into the jungle not particularly concerned by potential primate problems. Erosion and tree roots had created a natural staircase up the side of the hill and it cut through the dense surrounding jungle. I reached the top and followed another path until I got within sight of the beach where everyone had started eating. I had just decided to head back when I heard a loud "EEEEP!" coming from my left.

I turned around and came face to face with a nest of ten spider monkeys. They were quite upset at my intrusion, and were walking back and forth and staring at me. A large male appeared from behind them and began sizing me up. He looked pretty funny with his little moustache, beard and bushy eyebrows, but I knew right away he was this particular monkey pack's "goon" and I should probably think about high tailing it. But I had to get a picture.

Anyone who has ever used a plastic disposable camera knows that when you wind the film it makes a loud clicking sound. This was news to the monkey posse, and when I started cranking the spool forward, the screaming increased and the enforcer moved forward. He bared his signifigant toothage at me and charged. Here are the two photos I managed to take before the monkey business began.



There was a forgettable film released in 1995 called Congo. I had just seen it, and one scene in particular jumped into my mind. Scientists hiking through the jungle stumble across a huge gorilla who subsequently charges them. The guide tells them to "Stay still and don't move a muscle" in the face of this enormous creature. They manage to do so, and the Gorilla stops in front of them and then scampers.

My new little monkey buddy was a far cry from a gorilla, but all I could picture were those teeth sinking into my calf as I attempted to run away. So I made a grumpy face, stared into it's eyes and stood my ground. The monkey closed the distance between us in about 2 seconds flat and then stopped at my feet - staring up into my face. When it became apparent he was all "EEEEP" and no bite, I stomped my foot and screamed back at him, sending the whole crew packing into the jungle like the starters pistol of the Boston Marathon.

Dear readers, I hope that I've imparted some monkey wrangling wisdom you can take with you on your next trip to New Guinea, the Amazon, a Dave Matthews concert - anywhere there might be large groups of shirtless apes waiting to start trouble.



10 Comments:

Blogger Dana Gillin said...

May I please be the first to post to this blog? Oh, gee, thank you. I do have the honor!

Pye, you are a man gifted with a turn of phrase. And I've asked you several times tonight if this is some made-up shit, and you've denied that. So now, of course, bc you said so, I'll have to believe you. Because I think I asked you three times, and, as you know, no one can lie three times in a row.

You have adventures and you know how to tell 'em. Man, if only someone would pay money for that.... lemme think...

When your name appears in lights (or in the comics section or on a book cover) I will be able to say "I knew him when...," which has always been a suspect phrase to me, bc when exactly is when? I knew him when he was in diapers? No. I knew him when he worked at a tech publisher? Yeah. I knew him when he was in some cult that worshipped free plastic cups from diners? No. But I heard stories about that phase in your life, Pye...I've heard stories. It's over, I trust? The plastic cups? You've tossed your collection? Good... back to praying for trees' souls now, oh, that's good to hear. Nice normal religion.

Keep 'em coming -- the top 30 stories. For we will be waiting. With bated breath. Or something like that. The faithful will know, as you've mentioned... the faithful are here to keep you in check, make sure you're entertaining us as you should.

We all live just a little more than a little vicariously through you, Cute Kid. So bring it!

Monday, July 19, 2004 12:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute story...but what did you have for lunch?

You started out talking about weird aquatic life then said nothing would prepare you for your lunch on Monkey Island.... which implies that you ate something weirder than you saw in the water. I was thinking monkey brains like they ate in Faces of Death...

Monday, July 19, 2004 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, July 19, 2004 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

And for dessert... Chilled monkey brains. Temple of doom always gets a bad wrap. I think it's great. The minecart scene still holds up today. Anyway... I can't remember what we ate for lunch. What I do remember, is that I myself was NOT eaten by a large group of hairy jungle dwellers. And that's what will continue to stand out in my mind.

Monday, July 19, 2004 11:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had gross sandwiches and generic soda. You forgot to mention that your sister was deathly ill that day and couldn't snorkel or eat or watch monkeys, but I guess that wouldn't add to the story much.

Monday, July 19, 2004 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Yes, Janet was quite ill that day and couldn't get inked or shark/monkey bitten. Next time we're at a zoo together, I promise to push you into the gorilla pens.

Monday, July 19, 2004 12:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I misread "gorilla pens" as something else and momentarily very upset.

Monday, July 19, 2004 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all about Pye's sister and primate penis.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 3:50:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

You're lucky you posted anonymously there you... friggin'... dirty guy. I never thought I'd use my blog to threaten grevious bodily harm.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 5:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Primate Penis Pye - ha! Was that you Bobby!

Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:16:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com