homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Apathy Trumps Empathy Every Time.

As I cut across Boylston street this morning on my way to Park Plaza, I noticed a man making strange gestures and swearing to himself while staring at the ground. Had it still been this past weekend, I'd have just said "Good morning, Dad" - but alas, the old man is 350 miles away. So I knew I was about to cross paths with yet another of Boston's lost souls.

He was weaving erratically back and forth across the sidewalk, scattering frightened oncoming pedestrians like a beaver barreling through bullrushes. I slowed my pace down to try and anticipate the best way to pass him without a cootie crossover, and as I focused my full attention on the man I realized three very alarming things. The first was that he was only wearing dirty socks on his feet. The second was that he was wearing blue hospital pants. The third was that we were less than a block away from the New England Medical center.

When I sat down at my desk a few minutes later, I looked at my telephone and thought about dialing 911 to report a possible escaped mental patient. But then I realized I was in the epicenter of the metropolitan liberal stronghold that is Boston, MA. And that he'd probably gotten $6 in change, a cup of soup and a handjob off an Emerson student by the time I'd reached my office door.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pye, you're one of boston's great humanitarians and an inspiration to us all. the republican party would be crazy not to hire you as their new england spokesman.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 3:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say send them to Imus's ranch and keep the Emerson student's phone number. If memory serves me right Willie Brown (former Speaker Califorinia Leg. and Mayor of SF) picked them up and made a little camp for them. I think one of them stepped on his Gucci loafers.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Bobby! Where ya been?

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Well said, JV. Read this ridiculous state of affairs:

Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:59:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com