homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Trailer Park Boys Lament.

I have spoken to several of my American friends here in Boston who have seen Trailer Park Boys on BBC America. Apparently the episodes are being ripped to shreds by the censors. I can no sooner imagine watching TPB full of bleeps than I can Eddie Murphy's Delerious or Slap Shot. It cripples the show and I'm very sad because this incredibly funny and original Canadian export is not going to get the fair shake it deserves with American audiences.

 +  =

Blame Miss Jackson (yes, I'm nasty) and her left breast. I just read an interview with TPB's creator, Mike Clattenburg, where he said the show was originally contracted to run uncensored -  but BBCA changed their minds after the Superbowl Halftime debacle.

TPB has been shot in the foot and is doomed to fail for the same reason the proposed American version of The Office will never work. The creative cussing, colloquialisms and East Coast Canadian vernacular are a large part of what makes the show so endearing, funny and - dare I say - special. They've taken the heart and soul out of TPB and I implore anyone who cares to download an episode from the file sharing program of their choice to see it as it was intended.



1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Pye said...

Thanks, Mike. Thanks for thinking of me and conducting your own test. Although I would have preferred something along the lines of "Janet Jackson's breast looks live a grape that's been frozen and then thawed again". For future reference, Stiltsy.

Monday, July 19, 2004 1:08:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com