homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, December 01, 2005

My Fickle Friend, December.

Gone are the days when I'd long look forward to December. Driving 8 hours to spend 3 rushed days in Toronto before driving back again isn't quite as much fun as driving 3 hours to Grandma's to spend a whole week there over the holidays used to be. Turning 13 is much more exciting than turning 31. Staying up all night praying for dawn and anticipating the unwrapping of dress shirts, socks and toenail clippers isn't quite as mesmerizing as it was when the packages contained Legos, GI Joes and Star Wars figures. I still instinctively get excited about December - but these days it's more hassle and tension than holly and tinsel.

The dual nature of December couldn't have been reflected any better than on this, the very first day of the month. Joe Thornton got traded to San Jose - but my coworker Alon's wife gave birth to little Maya at 7:31 this morning. I've also, while typing this, been invited to my first Holiday party at a posh location in Marblehead. So I suppose it could be much, much worse. And for the record - it's called Christmas, you over-sensitive frigtards. Donnie Hatt is my hero.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough luck about ol' Joe Thorton. Geez, and I always thought Thorton for Bertuzzi would have been a great trade (for both teams). I think Boston did end up with some good players who will help the team, but San Jose is now a powerhouse with Joe T.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came in this morning to find emails saying "It's December! Only 24 days until Christmas!" Panic suddenly came over me. 24 days and about 30 presents to buy. Not to mention the imminent threat of a dwindling bank account with every ring of the cash register. I too, Dave, have found that as you get older Chrstmas really has become more of a mad, stressful, scramble rather than a twinkely-eyed anticipation for the fat man in the red suit to come down the chimney. The fat man being my Dad.
A 'Merry' Christmas? Is it really? Wake me up for New Years....

Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rudolph was on last night, in HD! I tuned in for a bit and reminisced about the days of GI Joe and Star Wars. But that was when christmas lists and toy catalogs were a priority to me this time of year.

Sorry Dave, those days are long gone and we are now left with holiday parties filled with drinks and bad jokes. BRING IT ON!

Last year Jen and I spent our holidays planning an incredible wedding. Stressful, costly and well, stressful. I'm really looking forward to the holidays this year. This has been one hell of a year and it'll be a great time to reflect.

And I might kick the crap out of one of those guys ringing the little bells begging for my money for shits and giggles.

Good luck everyone!

Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BDoyle- Did forget about how much those holiday parties filled with lots-o-drink helps to ease the holiday anxiety. Maybe I should try drinking while shopping?? Now there's an idea!
I got your back on those F@#!en bell ringers...

Thursday, December 01, 2005 3:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, regarding the whole issue on whether to call it a "Christmas Tree" vs. "Holiday Tree", call me naive but aren't the only people that would have a CHRISTMAS tree and would call it a CHRISTMAS tree those who celebrate CHRISTMAS in the first place? If they were to have a giant menorah on the lawn of the State House would we need to change the name to "Giant F'n HOLIDAY Candle Holder" in order to not offend those who aren't Jewish??? I don't get it! And yes, in case you were wondering, I am a total Bitter Betty today.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 3:31:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com