homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fun With Live Boston Crime Statistics

It's amazing how creative and inquisitive one can become when they haven't had an adult alcoholic libation for nearly 2 weeks. I think I need to go on booze sebbatical a lot more often. Anyhew, during my hyper online meanderings last night I came across this simple yet fascinating section of Boston-Online that you've just got to have a gander at.

I'm proud to present - a live Boston Crime Map. Shortly after any little bugger shoots, stabs or robs a citizen of our fair city - they're plonked onto this map for the rest of us to rubberneck. The homeless guy who was set on fire in the North End on Sunday? Check. The two teenagers randomly stabbing people on the Common Saturday night? Check. Let's move over to Fenway for a second - two men hit in the head by suspect who allegedly was first spraying people in the Pilgrim Parking Lot with a fire extinguisher? You betcha. Two teenage girls arrested at the Broadway T-Stop after robbing two females at knifepoint? Par for the course.

Have a look at this fun and wonderful tool, which is constantly updated by an RSS feed, and see what other crimes against Massachusetts humanity you can find. Feel free to post them here, and I really shouldn't be this amused.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words! Alas, it's not quite so "live." Typically, when I ride the exercise bike after putting the wee one to bed, I'll mosey over to BPDNews.com (where the Thin Blue Line has discovered the Power of Puns in covering crime), then call up Google Maps in another window and find the coordinates of the day's evil deeds and mash 'em together in a customized Movable Type template.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Well jeepers Adam, whatever you're doing - I likey. I am such a big RSS fan, I suppose I just want to believe it powers everything. Weather sattelites, windmills...

Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this map a couple weeks ago when I was trying to convince a coworker that, as a Needham resident, he was more likely to be involved in a violent crime in Needham than he was in Mattapan or Roxbury. Just my way of subtely calling him a racist. Anyhoo, the map did not solidify my point, but I remain steadfast. btw - I especially like the skateboard attack on Franklin Street. Damn punks!

Friday, March 10, 2006 10:35:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com