homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Canadian Assimilation.

My friend Sean called me over the weekend and left a message to the tune of “Have you been eaten by feckin' bears?” I realized at that point that it was probably time to update anyone who cares. If not, jog on - no one has a potato gun to your head. This blog will return to it's regularly scheduled dead hooker jokes by the end of the summer.

Operation Bunkhouse is just a few days away from completion, and my place is wide open for visitors anytime in August/September. If you're a friend of mine, or a well-medicated stalker, you are officially invited to pick a weekend if that’s at all enticing. Come sleep in the silence, relax in the gazebo, soak up some sun, boat your brains out and eat a lot of corn. There is also a vicious rumor that the Pye family likes a drink or two after 5pm.

Life is good, with obvious exceptions. Here are some bullets as it’s been a while since I spoke to any of you at length and there’s a lot to mention...

- We sold Grandma’s house in July and walked out of it for the final time last Monday. There were no tears shed. I now live full time in Portland, Ontario.
- My reasons behind moving here were spun different ways for different people, but the end goal was to live here with my ailing Father and take some of the pressure off of my Mom. For example, she is on a much-needed vacation in Vancouver this week, as I watch the fort/Gordo. He’s a handful, and my social circle consists of loons and squirrels - but he’s my Dad. And that’s that.
- Gord is manageable if you distract him with things he likes to do/eat/watch/drink. “Give me my f**king car keys now!” “Oh look Dad, Fawlty Towers is on!” “It is?”
- As a result, I am picking up golf very quickly. I now understand people’s addiction to it. Gord is still an excellent player, and we’ll be doing a lot of it. My first lesson is in 9 hours.
- 2 sets of clubs fit very nicely in the back of the Charger. Golf is quite a workout and I currently feel like I’ve been dragged behind a truckful of Nazis for several miles.
- On a related note, I am completely unashamed at how happy I am that Karen Allen is going to be in Indy 4.
- While hardly Grifflet substitutes, my little cousins Jakob, Seth, Thomas, Christopher, Alexandra, Darius, Ben and Carter are enjoying having me around more than once a year. Thomas (19) went to a party with me in Toronto and had a great time with my friends. Darius (6) enjoys when I show up with bootleg Spiderman 3 DVDs.
- Janet was up last weekend and we got a TON done on the Bunkhouse and a ton drankended on the Pontoon boat (see galleries).
- I have connected from so many childhood friends via Facebook it is unreal. I recently had dinner at the home of a girl who was my best friend Freshman year of high school and when I walked in the door it was like no time had passed. Quite an amazing summer in terms of friendship rekindling. Best website ever.
- I have a great group of friends back in Toronto (2.5 hours away), mostly from University, who have made me feel very welcome back in the Great White North. When I start to get jumpy for human contact, I have plenty of places to stay back in civilization.
- I now have a boat license.
- According to Janet, who is a hard sell on this topic, my driving skills have returned. She may have been swayed when I deked a hugenormous deer going 80MPH in her new 5-speed Audi.
- TechTarget went public a month ago and I am very glad I bought all the shares I was entitled to when I left to become an international search marketing guru in 2003. Why am I telling all of you? Cause it’s a jetski, baby, and you may get to ride it one day.
- Speaking of watercraft, we have a 50HP pontoon boat with pimpin’ leather couches on it and an iPod-compatible stereo. I remarked to Janet, whilst cruising slowly through Lost Lake with a Rockstar in my lap and the Pixies blaring through the speakers - “This IS heaven on Earth”. Gord kinda likes it when I play Bolero. Bonnie likes it when I forget to bring the iPod.
- I made my first Portland friend Friday night at a bar called the Galley. I can sail there in about 15 minutes and tie up right in front. He’s a local drunk named Dana, and Janet says “keep looking”.
- I run every morning, and combined with the golf I feel amazing and am dropping weight like a Tijuana crack whore. I only drink when we have company and my Peter Pan on cheesecake days are officially over.
- I have decided to live here for the winter in order to save money, continue the health kick and by doing so lower the insurance charges on the house while my folks are in Florida.
- My friend Gooch (see bunkhouse gallery) is going to leave both his snowmobiles here and we’re taking a trip all the way to Montreal on them come winter.
- Gooch and I are building an ice fishing hut.
- I am talking to Boxer and Boston Terrier breeders. I love the Boss, but he sleeps all day and can’t go outside. I need another addition to the Lakehouse herd for my own winter sanity. Otherwise, I’ll be growing a beard, writing a manifesto and sending C4 through the mail to Al Sharpton before the first day of Spring.
- I am turning into an Ottawa-Valley-accented-hilljack-peameal-bacon-eating hick, and I love it.

I will be in Boston the weekend of September 22nd for a wedding. The wedding is in New Hampshire, but I’ll be extending my trip so I have time to visit my Boston peeps. I hope to see some of you then, and Griffin may have to give up her PS2 room for a night or two – which somehow I think she’ll be fine with . The thought of a genuine Harpoon IPA and some North End Pushcart pizza makes me beyond happy.

Labels: , , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger twg said...

I got back just under a month ago from a week's vacation on and around Manitoulin Island. I'm still peppering my sentences with "ehs" ... good times.

I'm already missing my daily dose of Alexander Keith's. At least I managed to get a 12er of Sleeman's back to Boston:)

Monday, August 13, 2007 1:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little liquor store on East Broadway... down from the Blackthorn, etc. has Sleeman six packs.

You're invited up to my place anytime you'd like, TWG. I am going to be here all winter.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know someone who lived near the black thorn.........those were the days.........I miss the monster, a good monster story would make my day.....hope all is well dave.

Monsters old roommmate

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE WHEELS MAN!

Friday, August 24, 2007 9:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pye Guy,

When you are tired of the back woods, head up to civilization (or some facsimile of) and visit us in Ottawa. You can not stay in lombardy township forever, mon ami.

fraz

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:16:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com