homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, October 14, 2004

"My Philosophy" on KRS-One's 9-11 Comments

"Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption. America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place." - Kris Parker.

At a New Yorker Festival panel discussion this week, KRS-One (aka Kris Parker) of pioneering rap collective Boogie Down Productions had a few choice words on the subject of 9-11. I just stumbled across this article, in the middle of a busy workday, and had to take a moment to mete out some sort of response (aka vent on this clown).

It was bad enough when Jadakiss' song "Why" recently posed the awe-inspiring question 'Why did Bush knock down the towers?' and then stayed at the top of the charts for several weeks. If you need a Jadakiss barometer, it was shortly after the line 'Why'd Halle Berry have to let a white man pop her to get an Oscar?' Rest assured - If I ever needed advice on rolling blunts, wearing nothing but red velvet tracksuits or how to look like Charles Barkley with Down Syndrome, I'd certainly give Jadakiss a call.



But Parker has always presented himself as a prophet and scholar. Someone who will always 'teach the truth to the young black youth'. Here's a quote from his 1988 hit "My Philosophy" which I didn't even have to look up. You see, I absolutely loved this song as a kid and remember it line for line to this day: '... but I don't walk this way to portray - or reinforce stereotypes of the day - like all my brothas eat chicken and watermelon - talk broken english and drug sellin' - see I'm tellin' and teaching real facts...'. Well, Kris, when you were 18 you certainly were. But I wouldn't let you teach "Being a Phenomenal Cunt - 101" at this point, even though you'd be an phenomenal candidate.

His quotes yesterday in NYC only get better. In addition to saying "9/11 happened to them, not us," he clarified "them" as "those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations." Or, whitey and jewey as they're more commonly known in Parker's insensitive little mind. He also claimed that he and other rappers "cheered when 9/11 happened." I find that rather difficult to believe and propose someone share the 9-11 victim demographics with him which are readily available on the 'internets'.

I imagine Kris Parker actually spent the majority of that horrible day the same way everyone else in this country did - frantically making phone calls, glued to CNN, trying to find out if their brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers were still alive. As Parker has lived in New York City all of his life, I'd even be willing to bet my extensive collection of BDP CDs. That is, if I hadn't just thrown them all in the garbage.

** Follow - Up 10/15/04

Kris Parker has apparently re-thought his inane outburst and had this to say:

I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day,” KRS continued. “I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!”

"Terrorist"? I'll settle for "breathtakingly moronic". Why do I agree with the distinction? Because not even a terrorist could put a bullet behind the ear of your fading career the way you just did.



davepye.com web
 

davepye.com