homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Monday, August 09, 2004

30 Tall Tales #2: Inka's Icelandic Insanity.


"
Hello... It's Inka!"

I have been trying to finish this story for over two weeks now. It hasn't been easy. Listening to this woman's voice after nearly 10 years still makes my skin crawl. The quotes I have bolded (see above) link to actual snippets from answering machine messages that were left for my friends and I at our house in Guelph in 1995 after we "picked up a stray" one fateful winter night.

Nick, one of my roommates at the time, found this tape in his parent's garage recently and converted it to a series of MP3 files. The messages are very creepy, downright ridiculous and you may want to listen to them more than once so please - right click and download them to your hard drive so as not to annihilate my bandwidth limit. And with no further ado, on to our story.

My years at The University of Guelph (1992-1997) are filled with the very fondest of memories. I socialized profusely, worked constantly in seedy student bars, traveled the world on my Dad's company's dime, drank for England and even had time to occasionally pick up a book. But just like there is an exception to every rule, there's an exception to this particular mirthful era of my life. And her name was Inka.

JV, Nick and I were living in a house in North Guelph and the year was 1995. I was working as a student manager at the Boo Sports Bar on campus with JV, and Nick was busy squandering an unexpected inheritance on Molson products. We'd all attend just enough classes to get by. We'd drive eachother crazy with our music: I was way into Jeff Buckley, Nick was partial to The New Fast Automatic Daffodils and JJV had an inexplicable devotion to Frank Zappa which to this day has not yet run its course. But we all coexisted fairly well with a pirahna named 'Pico' rounding out the household.

Another friend of ours, Art, was having some of his photography displayed at a gallery a couple towns over. I left Nick and J at home, got into my pizzimpin' Dodge Caravan and drove to Art's where some other friends were having a few pre-pretentious gallery opening cocktails. Art likes art, I like Art, so I agreed to pack everyone into the party van and play designated driver. I had previously removed the benches from the back in order to haul furniture, so about 6 people - Peter, Art, Joanna, Jessica and others - were rolling around on the floor as I took tight corners, and they tried not to spill a mickey of scotch that was being passed around.

We got to the gallery - came, saw, pontificated. Feigned class, poise, interest - then filed back into the van and headed off in search of more debauchery. It was decided that we'd hit The Brass Taps on the University of Guelph campus. It was a Sunday night, so we didn't really know what to expect in terms of revelry, but we were willing to try. We arrived and were pleased to discover that it was in fact the first in a series of short lived Taps Karaoke nights. There were about 30 people in the bar which we figured was reasonable for a Sunday, and we all sat around a table center stage. After a few horrendous renditions of some popular favorites, our attention was drawn to a small, cute and seemingly shy red-haired woman as she took the stage.

The music started, and she began to sing "Sweet Little Sixteen" in a thick Icelandic accent. "Zey're really rockin' in Boshton... In Peettsburgh, P. A... Deep in ze heart of Texshas... And 'round za Frishco Bay... All over Shaint Louis... Vay down in New Orleeans... All ze Catsh vanna dance vit Schweet Little Shixteen."

"If you don't - you're finished. Don't play gamesh with me.."

By the time the song ended, we were all on our feet applauding and cheering this seemingly brave woman who'd up until that point been sitting at a table by herself off in the back corner of the bar. In retrospect, that should have been a big red flag right there. But all seven of us were in love with this strange creature, and when Art suggested we ask her to join us everyone agreed and he got up to go talk to her. Five minutes later she was sitting at our table and we were introducing ourselves, laughing and asking her all sorts of questions. Where was she from? Iceland. Where did she live? On-campus family housing. Who did she live with? A boyfriend and their two kids. She seemed harmless enough. We got the complete rundown and when closing time rolled around an hour later, we invited her back to my house - as we had no intentions of wrapping the evening up just yet.

Nick and JV were sitting at home behaving themselves for a change (it was Sunday night, afterall) and had absolutely no idea what they were in for. The eight of us rolled into my living room covered in snow, put on some music and started into a case of Sleeman Cream Ale. Inka suddenly produced a full mickey of cheap, rotgut, white tequila that she'd apparently been carrying or - as I now like to call it - red flag #2. Inka made the rounds, barging into JV's bedroom and then trying to chat with Nick who was having absolutely none of it. There was some hash oil getting fired up and she took a few big lungfulls - all the while working away at her tequila like a little Nordic trooper. A boozy Beowulf. Things started to get weird very quickly.

"Don't be afraid. There'll be no one come vishit you..."

A short while later, Art and I were sitting on the couch chatting and Inka walked up and began shouting loudly at us in Icelandic. Then, just as quickly as she'd raised her voice, she leaned in closer and started singing what sounded like a lullaby. JV and Nick went to bed, and one by one my seriously weirded-out friends started to leave. It dawned on me that I was probably going to get stuck with Inka if I wasn't careful.

"Inka, Jess is headed back towards campus - you should get a ride with her." I suggested. To which she replied with a string of screamed and unintelligible Icelandic obscenities. Art got up to catch a ride with Jess and I looked at him with a sort of pleading in my eyes. "Sorry dude, I have to work in the morning." As he reminded me when I visited him in Vancouver a couple of months back, the last thing he saw as he left the house, was Inka standing over me, jumping up and down screaming "F*ck me! F*ck me! F*ck me!" I was now alone in my house with the craziest person I had ever met. And she wanted a piece.

I picked up the phone and called good old Red Top Taxi. Inka looked at me incredulously and I covered the receiver with my hand and mouthed the words "You're going home now, Inka." She screamed gibberish at me again, grabbed her tequila off the table then stormed down the hall and into the bathroom. After 20 minutes I walked over and listened at the door. Silence. I tried the knob. Locked. I had to pee like a racehorse and began furiously knocking in an attempt to get her out of there. When I realized I was going to have to improvise, I ran back into the kitchen, found an empty bottle of Sleeman and, quite frankly, did what I had to do. I hid the bottle in the dining room off of the kitchen and turned out the light, planning to come back for it when I'd managed to get rid of this Scandanavian schitzophrenic.

I heard the bathroom door open and ran back into the hallway. Inka rushed past me towards the kitchen and I walked into the bathroom, terrified of what I might find. There wasn't a hole in the floor or a bathtub full of blood, but the bottle of tequila was sitting on top of the toilet tank. And it was empty. And I had had enough.

"Talk to me - If not you're going to loosshe your life..."

Suddenly I heard a loud scream from the direction of the kitchen: "VHAT VAS IN ZAT BOTTLE?!" she hollered and it dawned on me that she'd just taken a pull off of my makeshift beer-bottle-o-potty. It smashed on the floor and she began drinking water out of the tap, flailing around wildly. She'd have to want to leave now, right? Wrong. I heard a honk outside and realized the taxi had arrived. "C'mon Inka, let's go!" I grabbed her by the arm, picked up her coat in my other hand and started moving towards the door. She twisted away from me and locked herself back in the bathroom. The cab driver stopped honking, gave up and drove away. "Nooooooo!"

Inka emerged a few minutes later and I laid into her. "Listen, I don't know what your issue is, and I'm sorry if you've got troubles back at home - but I want you to leave. I am calling the cab again, and you are f*cking going to get in it". She nodded sheepishly, and I called the cab company back to explain what had happened - and to beg them to send out another hack. Cab #2 arrived and I held the door open and stood on the front porch so the driver could see me. Inka retreated into the kitchen and refused to come out. I went and grabbed her, determined to throw her into the snow but she started wailing and I backed off. The cab honked angrily and drove away again. I picked up the phone and called the dispatcher. "Listen, I'm sorry but I've got a crazy woman here who won't leave! Please get your guy to turn around and come back." The dispatcher replied "What you need pal is a cop. I'm not sending another car to that house." Inka sang another lullaby to herself and stared at me.

I was exhausted, unnerved and furious. I walked into my bedroom (which did not have a lock on the door) and got into bed. I didn't know what else to do. Sure enough, Inka came and got into bed with me and I pretended to be asleep. That's when she started to moan. To this day, Nick and JV are convinced that Inka and I did the horizontal mambo that morning as they were getting up to go to school. And I'm sure they'll comment to that effect for all to see. She moaned like it was her job for about half an hour as I lay on my side facing away from her. We stayed that way for about two hours until finally she sat up and announced she was ready to leave. Luckily Guelph had two cab companies, and I soon had her out of the house.

My relief was short lived though as I returned to my room and saw her address book on the nightstand. The phonecalls dispersed throughout this story were Inka's fanatical attempts to get this book back. From Monday to Thursday, we wouldn't answer the phone and we ended up with a tape full of the evil ranting you've been listening to. Finally, we couldn't take it anymore and called her back and arranged to drop it off at her apartment. We decided it would be better if I waited in the car as most of her aggression seemed aimed at me. Curiosity got the better of me, and I stood watching them in the shadows as they crossed a large courtyard and approached her door.

"I'm not from Canadia if you think ssho..."

Her creepy Icelandic boyfriend answered the door. "Hello messhenger boys!" he said as he bent over to put on his boots. He thought Nick and JV were there to fight with him. Nick tossed the small book past him into the apartment, and after a few more words were exchanged, they turned around and walked back to the van.

She never called our house again, but I did see her about two years later at the University Medical Center. I had a sore throat from hell and was standing in a packed waiting room - waiting to be seen. I noticed her before she saw me and I made sure to stare straight ahead. I watched her glare at me for about a minute out of the corner of my eye, but thankfully she left without saying anything. I was braced for another scene, but perhaps one warm mouthful of my piddle had proven plenty.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes!

She was moaning with your back to her?
I don't think any of your blogger buddies are buying that.
Lets be honest, back then Inka was fair game Davey
That dude (Inka's husband) basically opened the door without breaking stride turned to the couch where he got busy with the his eight-hole work boots.
He thought it was go time. I can't remember why it wasn't.
Hey Nick, why didn't we fertilize the family housing lawn with that guy?
Is it possible that I had a place in my heart for some fool who crossed an ocean with Inka and her spawn to put himself through school only to find this mess at his front door?
Hey Nick how is the malt treatin ya?
Let me guess its all high school girls and HA coke debt these days.
jokes... Back to Inka
Forget about trying to wash garlic off your hands eh?
I can see the memory still haunts you.
Do you wake up in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, with the memory of Inka trying to smother you with her family-size calamari fresh in your mind?
You can still smell her can't you?
I bet the current residents of that little house on Cathcart St still get the occassional waft of the night the Big D and Inka smelled up the sheets.

Inka is a great story I completely forgot about.

JV

Monday, August 09, 2004 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Never touched her, JJV. Swear to God. I don't see how unprovoked moaning is such a stretch after all the other stuff that went on in that house that night. I seem to remember her being topless in your room at one point. You saw more of that whackadoo's nudiness than I ever did.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004 5:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the best stories I have heard in a long time. I refused to listen to any of the recordings prior to reading the entire story. Good thing I did, wouldn't have been able to finish. INKA is terrifying and I pray that I do not get stuck at an after hours get together with that chick.
Doyle

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 2:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the best stories I have heard in a long time. I refused to listen to any of the recordings prior to reading the entire story. Good thing I did, wouldn't have been able to finish. INKA is terrifying and I pray that I do not get stuck at an after hours get together with that chick.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 2:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 2:09:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com