homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Way We Were.

"Mem’ries, Like the corners of my mind. Misty water-colored memories, Of the way we were." - An Awful Harpy.

10 years ago, I was on a 24K dial-up connection at University which was constantly being interrupted by lovesick housemates. I used something called PINE to read my email, and my address was dpye@uoguelph.ca. I frequented mIRC instead of instant messagers, used Altavista.com as my search engine of choice and would happily wait over 5 minutes for CNN.com to load. And by CNN.com I of course mean Danni's Hard Drive.

If you're feeling nostalgic for the early days of the gold rush, have a look at this collection of screenshots to see how some of your favorite sites looked as recently as 5 years ago. It's hard to believe, and it's only going to get crazier. By the time I'm forty, I fully expect to be surfing the net on the inside of a pair of sunglasses whilst video IM'ing with people on my wristwatch. As well as hopelessly addicted to Nuke.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool Dave. Al-Jazeera West hasn't changed much eh?

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

I did far worse than beat up that kid. I made him look like spineless dirt in front of everyone he knew. He never bothered anyone again after that. I know you'd have liked to see me throw him through the front window, but subtlety goes a long way.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:17:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Fitzgerald said...

check out http://www.waybackmachine.org/, you can look up the past versions of tons of sites. They don't have any records of davepye.com, bullshit.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 9:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You used pine? Nice! I used Elm for 8 years as my mail reader and VI as my text editor in Elm. Nothing beats Pine and Elm, IMO.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 4:33:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com