homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Wednesday Wadio: 99 Problems / Scarlet Begonias.

"Bastard pop is a musical genre which, in its purest form, consists of the combination (usually by digital means) of the music from one song with the acapella from another. Typically, the music and vocals belong to completely different genres. At their best, bastard pop songs strive for musical epiphanies that add up to considerably more than the sum of their parts."

I've heard several of these so called Jay-Z "mashups" - Jigga meets The Beatles, J-Hova meets Linkin Park, etc. - but the best so far has been Zigga Jizzy Ho-Ho coming face to face with the Grateful Dead in the 13 song album "Jay-Z's Dead". The potential for patchouli and bling jokes here is so tremendous that I'm left speechless, but have a listen on Radio Pye and see if you're struck with the sudden urge to bust a cap whilst playing hackey sack.

The meld of Scarlet Begonias and 99 Problems is my favorite tune, but other notables include Dirt Off Your Shoulders/Friend Of The Devil and December 4th/Dark Star. I'm not a huge Jigga fan and I'm only beginning to dip my toe in the Dead after years of violent resistance, but I think these conglomerations are extremely cool and I can't wait to see what they come up with next as more and more underground DJs get into the 'mix'. Hah, you see what I did there?

Have a look here for more examples - including KRS One vs. S Club 7, Jet vs. Christina Aquilera and Eminem vs. a slew of popular T.V. themes. Meanwhile, I'll be here in my apartment making a 3-foot Hennessy bong.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good show man.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 9:04:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Don't harsh my mellow and I won't rip your buzz, dude.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 9:19:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Nice one, Stilts. Did you listen to Nelly vs. Spandau Ballet? Funny... but I liked it better when it was called P.M. Dawn.

My favorite is The Clash vs. Grandmaster Flash. I always thought "Guns of Brixton" would make a great hip-hop sample.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:29:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com