homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, September 15, 2005

On Giving Your Seat Up On The T. On Donner. On Blitzen.

Rarely do I relinquish my seat on any form of Boston public transportation, with good reason. In a litigious, bleeding-heart stronghold like this - clean cut white males like myself run the risk of being called racist, sexist or ageist before their bum is even out of the seat. "What, you think that just because I'm an older, Latino woman that I'm lazy and need to sit down!?" "No ma'am, you just shat yourself." No one really fouled themselves this morning, but I did have yet another attempt to be thoughtful and considerate to others swatted down and vilified by a patronizing 'do-gooder'.

An older gentleman got on the train at Government center, and as he walked past my seat I noticed he was having a hard time navigating and holding on the the rail. I readjusted the laptop, coffee and gym bag I was burdened with and got ready to stand up and suggest he take my place. As I looked up towards him, a 20-something hipster chick with Buddy Holly glasses and an iPod was shooting me a look from across the car that couldn't have been nastier if I'd just badmouthed Interpol. I ignored her and sat the very gracious old-timer down.

Chivalry is not dead. It's doing 5-10 in Fulsom for choking someone to death with a Nano cord.



2 Comments:

Blogger Jennie SMASH! said...

Don't look at me. I'm nearly 30 and I'm in New York. Guilty on the Buddy Holly glasses, though.

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

If I were going to choke you, rest assured it wouldn't be with a Nano cord.

Monday, September 19, 2005 8:12:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com