homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, July 14, 2006

Black At The Beachcomber.

There was an action/drama/comedy - an adramedy, if you will, on TV in Canada when I was growing up called The Beachcombers. The late Bruno Gerussi headed up the cast of the popular show whose 19-year and 324 episode lifespan became the longest in Canadian television history. Here is a quick synopsis of the show: "The adventures of a professional lumber salvager and his friends in Gibson, British Columbia, Canada." How they managed to stretch that premise for 2 decades, I'll never know. No, wait. I remember now: "The format focused on physical action--boat chases, storms, rising tides, various rites of passage, a long-distance swim, taming a wild dog, a vision quest, but violence was largely confined to experiences with physical objects which break up or blow up or somehow threaten the characters." Awesome. And for my Canadian friends who haven't seen a photo of Relic in a while, enjoy.

OK - That was quite the tangent. Regardless, PITF reader and fellow Tiernan's refugee Greg sent me this photo from his camera phone last night. It's a very low-budget poster for the upcoming Frank Black show at The Beachcomber bar in Wellfleet. Many of my friends have been talking about this, and it's probably already sold out. Still, I'm going to give it a go and see if I can get down there. Who's with me? I saw Frank Black at a tiny bar in London, Ontario in 1996 and it was one of the best I've ever seen. I'm a goin'.

And let's talk about this poster for a second. It's Frank Black, not your buddy from college who's a stockbroker during the week. What's with the student council 8x11 'poster'? Vote for Allison. The handwriting looks like the author was riding in the back of a biplane distributing these from the sky like communist propaganda leaflets. And maybe use a photo that doesn't make him look like Peter Lorre with dysentery next time. Greg, where the heck did you see this?



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank sweated on me at that show in London and I loved it more than any other man sweat I've been assaulted with.

Friday, July 14, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

I remember Mike Western came with me and we hung out at his friend's house before the show. I also remember some kid in front of me smoked a cigarette through half the show, but just held it at his side so the smoke drifted up into my face. I said "Hey buddy, if you're not gonna smoke that thing, put it out." He ignored me. Then I felt a huge puff of smoke get blown into my face. I turned around to face him and he'd darted off. So I spent the last 15 minutes of the show charging around "Call the Office" looking for blood. I'm sure the encore was probably "Los Angeles".

Friday, July 14, 2006 2:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Wellfleet Tuesday and Wednesday and this was hanging up at the beachcomber. Plenty of tickets left.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Hey - I was in the Cape this weekend and went to the Beachcomber to pick up tickets. Interesting place. It'll be a great venue.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 11:02:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com