homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, July 07, 2006

Losing Your Local.

I am in absolute shock right now. You heard it here first, folks - Tiernans is closing forever. Take a moment to digest that, if you're someone who cares, and then try this on for size - today is their very last. I had a message on my phone from one of the waitresses and just listened to it as I was walking to work this morning. I don't have to tell anyone who knows me how much I have enjoyed this pub over the last 6 years. I have had hundreds of fun-filled nights there, and the building and staff have held a special place in my liver. I am gutted. I've lost my clubhouse.


I started working the door on weekends there in about 2000, and did so on and off for the next 4 years. 4 rowdy, cabbage-filled St. Patrick's Days in a row. I built the website, hung my own Christmas stocking every year and had many, many, nay - many parties for my friends on the premesis. It is a truly sad day.

The San Francisco location will remain open for business, and life will go on. Perhaps this is a sign from the ghost of Brendan Behan that it is time to slow it all down. I was planning on staying in and behaving myself this weekend, but obviously that strategy has just been sadly and violently pre-empted. Obviously, they're not going to take all the food and booze with them to California, so it could get interesting. If you're a fan of the place and have nothing planned for this evening - join me at the wake on Franklin and Broad.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SAY IT ISN'T SO DAVE!

Always poured a great pint and also had a great lunch menu. I have some family coming into town this evening but I think this is the type of occasion that family is required.

Hopefully we have the opportunity to go down there and have a final pint with everyone down at Tiernan's. Sad, very sad.

Friday, July 07, 2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

It is a tragedy of epic proportions. I am not pleased. There will be no replacing it.

Friday, July 07, 2006 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Well make sure you're there then. A 'meeting of the blogs' as it were.

Friday, July 07, 2006 2:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been drinking at Tiernans since I was 19. Lots of great times have been had their

Friday, July 07, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com