homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Tiernan's Last Call.

When will it sink in? Like a shot of Jameson's topped with Bailey's into a 2/3 pint of Guinness, I keep waiting for the other car bomb to drop. At least we have our memories - 6 years and hundreds of laughs, songs, fights. And hours before Liam, Susan and company turned out the light and set the alarm for the very last time, we had one last hurrah in the old place. Now you may think I'm being overdramatic - but anyone who knows me also knows I'm handling this remarkably well. With the exception of the whole "climb into a bell tower with a high powered WWII bolt-action rifle" thing that happened on Saturday, of course.



I remember the first time I ever entered Tiernan's - it was St. Patrick's Day 2000 and I had just been offered a great new job. My soon-to-be CEO, a friend of the owners, snuck me in through the kitchen door as a thrall of people waited outside to get in. So basically, the first time I ever drank there I was already a VIP. A great day in every way, shape and waitress - and from the giddy-up I was hooked. I also remember the day that company folded, a year later, and I again walked into the pub only this time not quite so jovial. Having already heard the news, owner Liam looked at the bartender and said "Dave Pye does not pay for drinks in this bar tonight!" What a guy. What a place.



Then there was the time I brought my father there, and without hesitation Susan paid for our lunch and made me look like a king when I went for my wallet. Then they presented my Dad with a shirt, hat and one of Liam's CDs which he wore/listened to for the rest of the day. She would also do that sort of thing when she knew I was bringing clients and friends there, all in the best interests of (I'm assuming) one of her favorite regulars. That's what makes a great pub, that's what I miss most about UK English/Irish bars and that's why I'm likely bell-tower-bound at least once more before all the spit and sawdust has cleared.



See the full gallery from Friday night here. There are so many other great/horrifying stories from the wreckage - The post-St.Patrick's Day parties, the celebs who dropped in, my silly benders and the subsequent damage, waterfights, Christmas stockings, booth conversations, New Year's Eves... And the people I will sorely miss from down through the years - Freddy, Kenny, Brian, Pistol Pete Massa, Kim, Greg, Emily, Joanna, Linda, Edwina, Nick and the Wyndham crew, all the Gemmers, Davy Jones, Steve, Martine, Johnny Mac, Danny x2, Brownie and of course Susan and Liam themselves. Thanks for a great ride, everyone. Feel free to leave your memories in the comments below. It's time to take the side door out to Franklin Street and get some Gatorade on the way home. Turn out the light and set the alarm. I'm too shitfaced and sad to remember the code.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will alwyas be a special plate in my heart for that bar

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S & L were always great hosts. I will miss this place very much.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just doing a random search... visited tiernan's about 4 years ago and had a wonderful time. R.I.P.

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:33:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com