homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Say A Prayer For Surf Boy. Wherever He Is.

"For the past eight years, I haven’t been able to get the character of Max Fischer out of my head. My favorite film is Wes Anderson’s Rushmore, and it also happens to be the director’s best film, encompassing his pathos, full of quirks and details, and soaring on a blend of faith, hope, and love. It’s got his best protagonist, the truest story, and the most genuine emotion of all his films." - Pajiba

I recently watched Rushmore for the first time in a couple of years, and then read the above article today, so I decided to mention it. My point is this - if you think you like movies, and you haven't seen Rushmore, do yourself a favor. Jesus, come over to my place and I'll let you borrow the Criterion version. I'm a Max Fisher evangelist today, and you have just been saved.



I envy Max for a number of reasons. He has the courage to follow his dreams, and sticks his neck out in the name of his "art" no matter what the consequences. Unfortunately, his entire universe is about to collapse because he's just too damn old to remain at Rushmore: a private high school he has been attending for the past six years.

"You guys have it real easy. I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you." - Herman Blume (Bill Murray)

Max has started, or is a member of, every club or extracurricular activity at the school. With the exception of fencing, however, these are limited to things like stamp-collecting and bee-keeping - not sports. The montage where we see Max chairing all of these various societies, while 60's mod rock plays in the background, sets a theme for the rest of the movie. Max feels he "belongs" at Rushmore because he can manipulate it's universe. The real world terrifies Max. "Well that's OK," he tells the headmaster when his poor grades are brought up, "I'll just take a post-grad year." When the headmaster replies that they don't offer a post-grad year at Rushmore, Max realizes he is about to be thrown to the wolves.

"Dear Max, I am sorry to say that I have secretly found out that Mr. Blume is having an affair with Miss Cross. My first suspicions came when I saw them Frenching in front of our house. And then I knew for sure when they went skinny dipping in Mr. Blume's swimming pool, giving each other handjobs while you were taking a nap on the front porch." - Dirk Calloway

It's no accident this movie has developed a massive cult following. Wes Anderson has created a group of characters so complex and addictively interesting that you can't help getting caught up in their dilemmas. There's Magnus, the bullying one-eared Scotsman who admires Max as much as he abuses him. Mr. Blume, the apathetic millionaire who would rather spend time with a 15-yr-old than his horrifically unsympathetic family. Rosemary, the grieving widow who becomes caught in a perceived love-triangle between Max and Blume - Even the bit players in this movie (Margaret Yang, Max's father, Dirk) will keep your attention and force you to empathize with their various situations.

Rushmore is in good company on my list of favorite movies. Goodfellas, Blade Runner, Raiders of the Lost Ark - do you see what I'm getting at here? It's a monumental piece of filmmaking, and you have got to see it as close to immediately as you can get. You'll thank me.

"Sic transit gloria. Glory fades. I'm Max Fischer".



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of borrowed movies. Any chance of me getting The Warriors back? No?

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Of course. Can you dig it? I know I spend the lion's chare of my free time in Acton, so that makes this all the more unfortunate.

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) best movie ever, for more reasons than i can be bothered to list right now. and the soundtrack's just as good.

2) isn't this write-up from the old davepye.com site?

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com