homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Gobble Gobble: Turkey Day In Concord, MA.

No word of a lie, this may be my favorite day of the entire year - The night before Thanksgiving. "T'was the night before Thanksgiving, and all through the house. Not a creature was stirring, especially not the headless turkey thawing on the counter." I typically travel out to Concord to hang out with my high school buddies. Tonight is always a ridiculously fun marriage of old friends, nostalgia and alcohol abuse on a level that might make W.C. Fields wince and check into a clinic.

And it doesn't stop there - Thursday morning is the football game: My alma mater, Concord-Carlisle High School, against the evil and incestuous Bedford. Fans supporting both schools cheer from the sidelines and the gridiron is ablaze with questionable sportsmanship while the vast majority of the Concord kids who swore the night before that they'd "go to the game this year" sleep it off somewhere else.



As for the horn of plenty/cornucopia stuff, I always eat at my buddy Jim's house. This year we're attempting to deep-fry the turkey, which is apparently all the rage. Speaking of raging, I'll be standing about 20 feet behind Jim with a fire extinguisher in one hand, and a Bud Lite in the other. I was told by another friend last night to use peanut oil and to make sure the bird is thawed before firing it into the fryer. I should probably call Jim and make sure he knows all of this so I don't show up at his house tonight to find Joan of Arc waiting for me.

Friday is always one of the classes' 10-yr reunions. Mine was back in 2001 and this year it's my sister's. Most of the C-town contingent heads into Boston regardless of whether they've got a reunion or not. I crashed the class of 1992's event with about 10 guys in tow and we had a great time. But we're a little long in the tooth to do that anymore. The class of 1994's event is being held at Monster and Bobby's favorite bar, Vinalia. The bar will be firmly closed to them, as they're not alumni. So if I do end up attending, it will be because I was summoned there by a hostage negotiator.

Have a great holiday, everyone. I'll be back on Friday or Saturday with some silly stories or maybe a Boston Police report scan to share. Until then, gobble gobble.



1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Pye said...

We deep fry'ded that shit. Took an hour to cook a thawed turkey. And was dee-diddly-licious. I'll have pictures up in the next couple o' days. Deep fried Catholics. Now, who'd have thought?

Tuesday, November 30, 2004 5:07:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com