homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Fat Duck Is The Best Restaurant In The World!

The Fat Duck has just been voted the best restaurant in the whole entire world by London's The Guardian. Now let me tell you why I care. In the years since I left England in 1999, owner Heston Blumenthal has made a serious name for himself, becoming a culinary celebrity across the pond. If Gordon Ramsay is the evil tempermental British chef, then Heston is his calm, measured nemesis. I was there when the Duck first opened, and served Heston and his staff many after-work pints as they were coming up and busting their balls to make a name for that strange, tiny eatery.

The Duck happens to be right beside the Hind's Head which is the pub I worked at for the better part of two years. Those of you who have been to my apartment and seen the painting I like to show people of the Hind's have seen the Duck depicted right beside it in watercolor. In fact, Heston bought the pub about a year ago and now owns 75% of the trade in the little village of Bray. Quite an impressive little empire he's building.



Anyway - I know Heston, he came to my leaving party, and I couldn't be happier for him. My girlfriend at the time loved his mashed potatoes, and he used to bring them over to the pub every night he knew she was in town. Heston used to be a collection agent, and how he went from cracking skulls to cracking eggs I never really got out of him. But he's a genuine nice guy with an incredible talent that was evident even then.

If you ever stop in, tell him "Canadian Dave" said hello. And in case you missed it, I said the best restaurant in the fucking world! Way to go, duckies.



davepye.com web
 

davepye.com