homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, April 15, 2005

Friday's Quizzlet: Tie Domi Let Me Eat Cake.

Appetizer: What was your first "real" job?
I assume by "real" quizzlet that you mean salaried. My first job was a paperboy, but my first "real" job was as a junior web developer for a now defunct Internet incubator. It was a low-paying, entry level job but the competition for it was still fierce. After I got home from the interview, (this was 1999) I fired up a strange program I'd found called "Flash" or something - and redid their entire website on my own web space. When the CEO of the company saw the site (I eventually forwarded the link to the underling who had interviewed me) he said two things. The first was "Jesus, that's not our new site, is it?" The second was "Hire that kid".

Soup: Where would you go if you wanted to spark your creativity?
My roofdeck. A few years ago I went up there with a pen and a notebook for the afternoon and mapped out my first retail website. The logo, the design, the site map, most of the content - everything. My creativity was also probably enhanced by the strange tea my roomate had given me earlier, and the fact that I thought I was on Pluto.

Salad: Complete this sentence: I am embarrassed when...
...people tell me they're embarrassed to be American.

Main Course: What values did your parents instill in you?
My mother is an all around good soul. She kept me on a short leash and gave me an even mix of discipline and support for which I'll forever be grateful. My father, on the other hand, was more like the Tie Domi of the household, enforcing my mother's will whenever I got a little too fucking cheeky. He'd skate onto the ice and goon me whenever I started crowding the crease. But he did have his memorable parental moments, and I'll share one with you now. When I was about 6, my mother had a birthday party at which people from the neighborhood came over and did the usual. The next night my mother, who was doing home fashion parties at the time, went out leaving me alone with Gordo - and an enormous leftover chocolate cake which stood unguarded in the dining room. I couldn't stop thinking about that damn cake, but I knew that in order to get to it I'd have to sneak past my father who was watching hockey in the living room. He'd have his back to me, so I decided to risk it. Unfortunately, I risked it about seven too many times. During my umpteenth sortie to sneak in, get a fingerful of icing and then scoot back to my bedroom, something went horribly wrong. A split second after I looked over my shoulder to make sure my father was facing the other way, he quietly ran up behind me. As I returned my attention to the cake, he grabbed both my ears and rammed my face firmly into the choclately goodness. "Nobody likes a thief. You want the fucking cake? Have the fucking cake". There was a similar incident weeks later with chocolate pudding and the two messages reverberate through time to me even now - I am still incapable of stealing. Although in all fairness I haven't been confronted with Jell-O pudding in a long while.

Dessert: Name 3 fads from your teenage years.
I was less susceptible to fads by my teens. I think a better question would have been to ask me about fads from my childhood. One thing I do remember from Grade 9 at Lorne Park Secondary School in Mississauga, 1988 and my first foray into the teen years, was that my clique wore nothing but clothing from Mark's Work Wearhouse. We all had the same green workpants with the ends rolled up, the same fleece MountainGear tops and the same bad 1/2 buzzed on one side, 1/2 long on the other haircuts. We were far too young to be drinking, having relations, running from police - and we definitely way overshot the section of the eighties when it was cool to emulate Flock of Seagulls. So there you have it. If I were to wind back a little further into childhood, I'd have to discuss my unhealthy fascination with SeaMonkeys. That's not a joke. Ask Janet.



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story Dave. Pretty darn funny too. The main 'value' I remember learning from my father (who denied he ever told me this), was that:
"Son, I know that now you're a teenager you're going to do a lot of stupid things. I can't stop you, it's part of learning, but what ever you do, DON'T GET CAUGHT".

I listened, did a lot of stupid things, but never got caught. It's a pity he didn't tell my younger brothers and sisters, who all did exactly the same stupid shit that I did, but got caught...

Friday, April 15, 2005 1:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And as for Fads, I entered Highschool in 1991, right at the beginning of the 'Grunge years'. It became the fashion for a couple years to see how many t-shirts one could wear - but of course you had to wear them in a way so that the smallest ones were on top and larger ones were on the bottom, so that you had this weird layered effect...

Friday, April 15, 2005 1:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fads I remember from high school were: (in the early years) Sun-In to make your hair like Simon Le Bon's and eye-liner to make you like Billy Idol. Later on it was argyle socks and penny loafers; paisley shirts (which I am glad to see are coming back in style), rolled cuffs on jeans and cardigan sweaters. What can I say? I live on the West Coast and was preppy. Wanna fight about it?

The best advice my dad ever gave me is something I haven't been able to put into practice yet (I'll have to wait until I'm married). Anyway, he told me that as a husband you should always have several home projects on the go that you never finish, because as soon as you finish one, your wife will just come up with new ones. That’s why those bloody cupboards in the basement never got handles!

Friday, April 15, 2005 2:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best advice ever from my step dad when I was 13 - "Boy, if she gives you a blowjob on the first date... you probably shouldn't date her" - this is also a guy that seriously lives by the phrase "It is what it is bo... it is what it is".
The best suggestion ever was when my Uncle told me the best way to knock out a smaller guy that is quicker than you. Just wait for him to come out of the crapper stalls - where the hell is that lil' bastard gonna go now - BOOM.
Best advice from my buddy Pappy's Dad - don't tell women anything.

Friday, April 15, 2005 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No actually it was you can tell a woman anything - just not the truth.

Friday, April 15, 2005 3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

This sort of advice is the reason we're all happily married now.

Friday, April 15, 2005 3:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father always told me to not fight, but if you have to fight, fight dirty, because you don't want to lose...

Friday, April 15, 2005 4:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA That reminds me - My step dad had a nother great line... "Bubba, If you start a fight you better finish it - or I am gonna finish it for ya".

One time I started a fight with three kids that were picking on me. B/c I finished it and got released from school for 72 hours he decided to take me hunting. Pretty cool. Beat up some kids in class - don't get a suspension but a 72 hour release - go huntin!

Friday, April 15, 2005 5:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone else spend at least two hours watching those fights from the Tie Domi link? No? Just me? Some dandies in there. You really should invest the time. Thanks for putting the link up Dave.

Saturday, April 16, 2005 9:21:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com