homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, June 30, 2005

War Of The Squirrels.

I took my work crew to see War of the Worlds tonight, as I've been tasked with HR responsibilities (aka HR period) for the company. But I enjoy the "take the nerdlets out to see films you'd be downloading anyway" angle of the position. That I'll also be in charge of sensitivity training could be viewed as a bit of an error on management's part. Although in my own defense - I did cancel the "It's Not Sexual Harrassment If She's Asleep" T-Shirts I had planned for this year's harbor cruise.














2005's War of the Worlds is a very good movie. Worthy of both Orson and H.G. Although I did find Tim Robbins' "Everyone knows that wars of occupation never work" line detestable and about as subtle and out of place as Elliott calling his brother "Penis-Breath" in the first 15 minutes of E.T. - Spielberg gets a big thumbs-down in my book for letting that little liberal turdlet seep into the otherwise fucking spellbinding movie. It's Shindler's List Meets V. It makes Independance Day look like, well E.T. - Forget I said anything.

Hanging over the entire marketing effort for this movie has been Tom Cruise's bizarre stint on Oprah, Scientology and Katie Holmes. After the movie, I met my sister and her friends from work for a beer, and one of her buddies went on for 15 minutes about how Katie Holmes was one of 3 major actresses approached by the Church of Scientology to pretend to be Tom's girlfriend - because he's really gay. Listen man, I saw huge alien Tripods chasing Tom across Connecticut for two hours tonight. Not a barrage of rodents vying for access to his bunghole. But then I remember the whole Lestat thing and think - Dave, quit while you're ahead.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Cruise does a pretty good job of not pretending to be not as gay as a not gay person would not be. eh... yeh. I think that's why I'm confused about him.

I love war of the worlds. The book (which I reread for the 5th time or something last month) and the soundtrack are really fun. :)

Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

If you see the movie, watch how many people get confused by the ending or do not see it coming. Apparently H.G. Wells has been taken off of curriculums everywhere and replaced with modern science fiction like "2005 - An Insensitive White Heterosexual Male Space Odyssey".

A Coworker - "I thought this was opening night. Did you read a spoiler or something? How did you know?"

Me - "The book is over a hundred years old, meteor brain."

Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:21:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com