homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Grading The Goons.

You've all heard me mention GoonBlog several times over the last three months. It's actually been live for a few weeks now, and Chris and I have been hard at work in our rare spare time finding our voice and putting some content together while the graphic design takes place in the background. I have a lot of faith in this project for a variety of reasons, so I decided to pony up some duckets for a professional design.

We didn't want to 'roll it out' until it was 100% done - but I've just gotten the first mockup back from the graphic designer and I want some feedback before I give him another round of changes to make. Click here to go to the designer's site, and then select GoonBlog from the dropdown menu on the right.

I almost really like it. The gloves as a background image in each post, the Stanley Cups beside the titles, the center ice design at the top - but I'm not 'wowed yet' and I desperately want to be. The designer is obviously talented, and followed my exploratory round of suggestions to the letter, but it needs a 'little something'. Here are a few of my ideas, and I look forward to hearing some of yours, dear reader.

- Cartoon players are duking it out rather than checking.
- Post cell is shaded with a light grey instead of surrounded by a thin border.
- Less real estate used at the top of the screen for the graphics.
- "GoonBlog" is more condensed and both words are on the same line. Saves space and will allow us to repurpose it as a logo.
- Yank the crossed hockey sticks.

Those are some of my first impressions. Detroit and I look forward to some of yours. We didn't want to 'drop the curtain' before we officially 'dropped the gloves', but we have - so rip into it and slug us with some feedback. And be sure to have a look at the current version of the site so you can get the big picture/bored to frozen tears.



4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Pye said...

That was very helpful. Thanks. Would you like it better if they all rode Ducatis instead of ice skates?

Where the hell is everyone today? A little help?

Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YO! I am with you Pye. I like it, but I don't love it. It is a little too cartoony, and "fun". Put some blood in there! Gets some tits, maybe a for sale sign in the background! I really like the Stanley Cups, but the cartoons need to be fighting like the organ in Strange Brew just went off. Monster, that was for you.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Fitzgerald said...

Personally, I don't like the maroon font or the maroon mouseovers, it doesn't go with the blue which is a great color. I don't like the thin black line around each post and i think the gloves are just a bit too opaque and the crossed hockey sticks have to go.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pye - don't listen to these naysayers - it looks solid. stilts is right though - if the cartoon images were of the hanson brothers (puttin' on the foil) you'd be in business.

and since there are few things i enjoy more than talking shit about hockey, i could be spending a lot of time over at goonblog...

Friday, August 12, 2005 1:26:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com