homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Wednesday Wadio: Don Lennon's 'Really Dave Matthews'.

"Lennon’s fans love his farcical, enigmatic lyrics and his crystalline pop sensibility for what they are. And if he’s not yet a big name in his home town, he may soon be able to look forward to a wider audience in the Gulf region. As one reviewer writes on that populist arena of rock-crit discourse, Amazon.com (where Lennon’s three-album average is a solid 4.8 stars out of 5), "Play this CD for the people of Iraq and they would agree that the USA is good." - The Boston Phoenix

If a little Lennon is all we need as an endgame for Iraq, we should be able to wrap it all up by this time next week. Anyhew, I hate Dave Matthews. But that's not why I like this song. Nor do I like it for a certain aforementioned reasons which were touched upon yesterday. Rather, I love Really Dave Matthews because in addition to themes of loneliness, awkward youth and autumn, it's a practical example of the insane lengths intelligent males will go to to get their noodles wet.

When Don Lennon's 3rd album, Downtown, got reviewed by Pitchfork and the Village Voice, it was a special day for all of us. It was validation for friends and fans everywhere that Lennon had finally arrived. 3 years later, although you've still never heard of him, he's known and respected by his musical peers and actually has quite a sizeable following across the pond and in pockets of the American midwest. Don told me once that getting to Sweden to do a show and watching a sizeable crowd sing his lyrics back to him was a truly mindblowing experience.

"Musically, Downtown sounds a little like Belle & Sebastian fronted by Bruce McCulloch from "Kids in the Hall." - Pitchfork.

There are songs of Don's I have grown to like better in the days since 2002, but Really Dave Matthews is what I always shove on to the uninitiated. His first 2 albums are also very special in my opinion, but it's best not to dig too deeply into the crates right off the bat. Because RDM is a perfect summary of some of the bigger guns in Lennon's developing arsenal - subtle humor, pop culture references and tunes so catchy that you'll inevitably be asked to stop whistling one or two of them at some stage. Aggressively.

"I’m not really making fun of Dave Matthews. It’s hard to point to one line where I make fun of him. You just couldn’t do it." - Don Lennon

The song's protagonist is a first year college student who pretends to like Dave Matthews in order to impress a girl. He's a better man than I. Sure, I've pretended to be things to impress a girl before - sensitive, a good listener, heterosexual - but to lower myself to the level of the DMB army just to get a little dorm room action? That's a grenade not even I would be willing to jump on. It's sweet, earnest and I dare you not to whistle the denoument/outro to yourself at any point today after listening. You know the Routine - hit the 'ZAP' button on Radio Pye and finally get to meet Don.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave:

I'm so dumb... how do I get to radio pye? I don't get it...

Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOt it... not as dumb as I look.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the implications of this song - how men will claim to like something they hate (Dave Matthews) to get something they love (sex). Man, how many times have I heard my friends agreeing with women in bars in order to increase their chances of getting a little somethin'-somethin'. "Yeah, yeah, Oprah does select the best books."

I'm like Pye, if I don't like something I'll say so - I cannot keep my real opinions hidden. * Sign * I guess that's why I haven't had my cherry plucked yet...

I also love this song because I hate the Dave Matthews Band. As a band made up of a bunch of former studio artists, their music sounds like it was written by a bunch of former studio artists - soulless and overly structured. “Ok, 8 bars of horns, now 8 bars of harmonizing, now 8 bars of acoustic guitar as Dave signs us out – end track.”

Friday, September 23, 2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Graeme - Male virgins look at you and go "Jesus, should a few of us chip in and get that guy a pro?"

Friday, September 23, 2005 8:03:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com