homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Charming Neighborhood Or Demographic Trainwreck?

"And I wish guns were legal, because if they were..." - North End resident recounting her most recent measured exchange with a late-night party animal.

I was asked to attend a community meeting which took place tonight in the North End of Boston. As a six-year resident of my building, and the new manger, it was fascinating to be on the other side of the fence. You see, I am a reformed pain in the neck. The problems I used to create are now my problems. The neighbors I used to dismiss are now my peers. "In the old days we'd handle this sort of shit ourselves. But now if we do anything we get arrested or sued!" I'm definitely not longing for a return to the North End's 'good old days' but things gots to change. I'll elaborate.

Standing room only (300 people), it reminded me of an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting - disorganized, volatile, held in the basement of a church and smelling of coffee. Actually, I've never been to an AA meeting and I mean no disrespect. I'm just talking out of my liver. Still it was fun times, and I sincerely wish I had it all on tape - It was comedy, it was drama and I actually emphathized with everone. They were tired, exasperated and at their wit's end. This has become a real epidemic and I could not believe some of the stories I heard. "Hello, my name is John and I live at 87 Richmond Street. I hate all drunk college kids and non-responsive police." The F-word was used by senior citizens more than once. As were fists to stifle laughter (maybe just mine), but there weren't too many them smiling.

Apparently Menino (there were members of his staff there) has nicknamed the North End "Disneyland" because he's been getting so many party complaints. The complaints extended to condo owners, rental building landlords, foot traffic, street traffic, motorcycles and especially businesses that are open late. None of the authority figures or community leaders who attended were safe. The room complained about the cops, 911 response times, the mayor, Universities, etc. There were photographers there, one of whom looked pretty official (Globe maybe), and I am in all of the pictures, so look for me if there is an accompanying story. I'm the 6"4, UK mutt trying to remain inconspicuous in the background.

The residents in attendance ranged from Salem, Hanover, North Margin, Cooper, Sheafe - streets from all over the neighborhood. Some of the stories they told - fights, threats from young kids, flashlights shone and rocks thrown at the windows of people who complained, drunk women flashing, people claiming they didn't have to shut down their party because they were secret service, bands on roofdecks at 2am, drugs - were hard to believe.

The people who were trying to lead the meeting ended it after about an hour and a half because it became little more than a gripe fest and forum for people to tell yet another "someone's gonna get murdered some night" story. But progress was made, and it ended with more applause for the attending police reps than jeers. Action items from the city include foot patrols between 2-4 a.m. for the next few weeks, and cooperation from surrounding Universities. Also, the police are going to be following up on a long list of recently problematic buildings.

If police have to show up twice to the same address, all tenants will be arrested. They are really not joking around and I advise my North End readers to take this seriously. One of the officers said that they would be using the same sorts of tactics they've used to effectively shut down prostitution in other parts of the city. It was intense in that crowded little room.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were you, I would start a Karl Rove style fear and smear campaign.
I don't think it would be hard to convince the neighbourhood that all party-goers are terrorists. You could have a slogan like; "You're either sober or your a feckin' commy terrorist cack." (said with a heavy Bostonian accent).
C'mon Dave, Boston is the birthplace of revolutions!
If that was Vancouver, we'd be handing out free heroin to the drunken masses and moving them into Graeme's neighbourhood.
Happy ThanksGiver' Everyone!

Friday, October 07, 2005 2:54:00 PM  
Blogger Dana Gillin said...

Oh, Pye... When the raucous partiers turn around and yell at the kids making all the noise, you know you're growing up... I'm so (((sniff))) proud of ya.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 1:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the sign for that meeting. I didn't know people actually went to those things

Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:27:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com