homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Wednesday Wadio: Tom Vek's C-C (You Put The Fire In Me).

"Tom Vek must have been beaten by lead guitar lines as a kid-- he avoids them like a sore subject." - Pitchfork

A friend turned me on to a 24 year old Brit apparently poised to become one of the next darlings of the indie rock scene. She does this on a regular basis, and I'm rarely that impressed. When I heard the first 30 seconds of "You Put The Fire In Me" however, I knew that Tom Vek was a little slice of something special. Not surprisingly, no one seemed to notice my violent air-drumming as I walked through Government Center with it blaring on my iPod only this morning. His debut abum, We Have Sound has been warmly received on both sides of the pond. And on my iPod.

"Most of Tom Vek’s influences are at least fifteen years old and easily triangulated. But he’s unencumbered by nostalgia. We Have Sound is so difficult to isolate from Vek’s ass-backwards charisma, I wonder if the man might be a visionary." - Dusted Magazine

In addition to his youth it's also worth pointing out that Vek plays all of his own insturments - of which there are many. This tune includes what sounds like an old-fashioned church organ, a more traditional piano tinkle layered in quietly as background texture and then hammering drums that sound as though they're being played by Sloth. See what you think by hitting ZAP on Radio Pye in the left hand column.



davepye.com web
 

davepye.com