homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Dropping the Gobbler.

Before I go any further, and on a sorta related hippyish note - Neil. My beloved Neil. You're killing me. OK - I feel a little better now. Back to business.

I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment, one I hope will last longer than a Tootsie Roll Pop, and I've purchased a whackload of Green Tea to sip at the office. A great guy who used to play for the Revolution once interned here for me, and he swore by it. I think I saw him drink 8 cups in one day, and I'm not exaggerating. I asked him if he was trying to ward off some sort of mystical Chinese dragon that maybe I couldn't see, and he said that "It is the best anti-oxidant you can get". I then wondered if he perhaps drank Crisco all day at home and this was his way of countering that bad habit. Regardless, he had a jawline like Marv and must have been doing something right.

Gosh knows, if anyone needs a little anti-oxidizing it's probably me. A winter's worth of beer, questionable red meat, french onion dip and Reverse the Curse has left me feeling like one giant arterial clog with shoes on. Other efforts include - walking to and from work (50 minutes a day roughly), oceans of water, salad, fruit and veggies followed by a health shake thingy for dinner. So it's a crash, boom pow system shocker for a couple of weeks, and then back to the gym every day once the metabolism is back up and the lion's share of the winter weight is gone.

Why do I write about this potentially embarassing stuff on my blog? First of all, I could use some opinions and advice. Smash said it best on her site a week or so ago while running down a very simple list: "3) If you do more and eat less, you'll probably lose weight." That's really all there is to it. However any words of wisdom for myself and others may be left in the comments. Second of all, when one makes obnoxious public declarations about their sveltness like anyone actually cares, people will hold you to them. "Glad to see you went right ahead and didn't get back into shape the way you said you were going to, male Sally Struthers". That always feels great.

The only way to get rid of this turkey gobbler, which is making me look extremely old and decrepit, is to get myself back down to fighting weight (210 lbs.) - and that's not going to be easy. So I'm putting my sloppy, poulty-esque neck out there on the chopping block and calling my shot - I will weigh 210 and look studly by Independence Day. Or I will shave my head. Who's in? Any other chubbies want to get in on this and set up a similar wager? And shaving pubes doesn't count, because I do that already. Let's fuckin' go, eh?



12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Dave, in the three months my restaurant has been closed, I've put on 35 pounds. Not good... I'll join you on your crusade to lose the lbs. If on the fourth, I still can't fit into anything I wore last summer, I'll shave the dome along with you.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already have a shaved head and pubes, but I am in none the less.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

OK. So what are the target weights for you two? We'll do weekly honor system weigh-ins on Wednesdays (now that Wadio is sadly defunct for a while). We'll start tomorrow by stating our current weights for all the world to see, and take it from there. You guys still in? Any other takers?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to drop at least 50. I think I am up around 250-260. Will find out for sure tonight. The scream you here in Acton is my scale.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

OK - DVS and Greg - send me your current weights and we'll start tomorrow.

Stilts from Guelph may be in to, but he wants to gain weight. Anyone else may join too.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jennie SMASH! said...

There is no way I'm shaving my head. I'll bet you five real american dollars that I lose ten pounds by July 4. How bout that?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

I'd love for you to take part, Smash - but I know you're a woman and therefore will never provide me with weekly weight data.

Am I wrong?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in! I haven't had a drink since Friday - the nightmares and cold sweets have started.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweats & Sweets.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jennie SMASH! said...

I'll provide you with weight loss data, but not totals. If you knew how much I weighed, you'd have a stroke.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in. I have been working out but I would like a bit of a challenge. They say the last few pounds are the hardest, right? I'm ok with the weigh-ins, as long as the numbers go down!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg, You shave your head all the time anyways. i think you should have to do something else

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com