homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, April 07, 2006

Friday's Quizzlet: Go Wok Yourselves.

Appetizer: Name a trait you share with your parents or your children.
I don't have any children, so I'll have to talk about Gordo and Bonnie. I share my father's penchant for food and drink, and my mother's sensitivity. Recently, my father's temper has been wheedling its way into my personality - so I just suppress it with more drink. Other traits from Dad: computer love, cartooning, emotional disassociation. More traits from Mom: animal love, awesome with children, inconvenient empathy.

Soup: List 3 qualities of a good leader, in your opinion.
The ability to listen, the ability to admit that you're wrong, and the ability to listen. Save all the "inspire" bollocks - learn from your mistakes, and don't treat your team like they're manning a deep-fryer. There's probably more than one person working under you who is way smarter.

Salad: Who is your favorite television chef?
My main man - Wok with Yan. He is a Chinese chef who had a TV show in Canada starting in the early 80s - and I believe he's still going strong up there today. He had a great gimmick - every day he would have a different Wok related saying on his apron. I don't know how they came up with so many. My favorite, from 1981, was "Raiders of the Lost Wok". For some reason, I'm afraid I'll never forget that. He was on in the afternoons right before Spiderman, so I rarely missed a peek at his apron.

Main Course: Share a story about a gift you received from someone.
My sister has this uncanny ability to buy clothes for me. She's even shown up at my place with shoes. The thing is, I would never even try on any of the stuff she gets for me were I alone in a store, but once she gives it to me I always love it. J - please never buy me any presents other than clothes. You have a gift for getting me gifts.

Dessert: How do you react under pressure?
My productivity skyrockets. When a client is angry, or I have something stressful going on in my personal life, I jump into action pretty frighteningly effectively. If I could harness this ability, and have it extend into the everyday - I'd be a millionaire by now. There's always hostage negotiator school.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back from vacation, and hating it! But how can I call it a vacation when I can't get my friday quizzlet?

Appetizer: Name a trait you share with your parents or your children.

No children for me either pye. So I would have to go with my mother's good looks and my father's intelligence. Best of both world's.

Friday, April 07, 2006 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

I didn't realize your mother was Chris Noth. That is excellent dude. I love her work on Law and Order, and I'd love to meet her.

Friday, April 07, 2006 3:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what happened, maybe I got a little click happy.

Soup: List 3 qualities of a good leader, in your opinion.

1) Have to agree with Pye on the ability to listen.
2) Confident. I think this one is obvious
3) Opportunistic - SEIZE THE MOMENT. The greatest leaders in history have been able to seize the opportunity put before them and capitalize on it.


Salad: Who is your favorite television chef?
Who knows. There are alot of good ones out there right now thanks to the foodnetwork. One show I used to get a real kick out of was those three fat old british ladies that would eat the unhealthiest food known to man.

I think the show was actually called 3 Fat Ladies.

Main Course: Share a story about a gift you received from someone.

My sister painted an incredible picture for me recently. Its a copy of a Salvador Dali painting, Persistance of Memory. When she first started painting I had my doubts. She's come a long way since.

Proud of my little sis' and thanks for the painting.


Dessert: How do you react under pressure?

Simply put, pressure is a motivator for me. I always find it interesting to watch people under pressure, it can tell you alot about a person.

Friday, April 07, 2006 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger irshal said...

Appetizer: Name a trait you share with your parents or your children.
No children, so I will talk about my mother. I would have to go with love of music/arts, passion, a bad back, genuiness (sp?), intelligence and ardent curiosity.

Soup: List 3 qualities of a good leader, in your opinion.
1) Someone who can listen and empathize, 2) Someone who recognizes that a leader is a servant to those he/she leads, and 3) Someone who recognizes the strengths/abilities of their team and knows how to make them shine.

Salad: Who is your favorite television chef?
OOf...I haven't the foggiest.

Main Course: Share a story about a gift you received from someone.
My sister is a phenom photographer. Every holiday/birthday, she gives me one of her framed photos. She once took portraits of everyone in the family and offered them to all of us, respectively for Christmas. She literally brought my mother to tears when she gave my mother the pictures of all her three children.

Dessert: How do you react under pressure?
It always makes me see that I made of stronger stuff than I realize.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:36:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com