homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bobby McFerrin Raped My Grandmother.

Did anyone see Alec Baldwin on SNL last weekend? The show has been so spotty over the last 2 years that even I, Mr. "There are always rebuilding years that aren't very funny," have been starting to worry. The early hype created by Lazy Sunday dwindled quickly as even Dane Cook and John C. Riley failed to rally the troops towards consistently funny shows. But the Baldwin episode was almost 100% funny, and I was very glad to see a little life left in the old studio. Some other thoughts on the current cast:

- Keenan Thompson should be used more. But at SNL, if you don't come up with your own characters, and you're not always a suitable utility player (like Hammond or Hartman) then the writers won't put you in many sketches. The characters he does repeat, i.e. the gay disco show host, are weak. But the kid has a lot of talent. I hope he starts to stand out beyond the Bill Cosby impression soon.

- Andy Samberg is a funny kid, and I like the way he has spearheaded the digital shorts, but he's a little too overtly Sandlerish. If he finds his own identity, and keeps writing his own stuff, he'll be around for a long time. If he keeps playing songs on his acoustic guitar and trying to be cute, he may make a nice living for a few years but won't be remembered as one of the greats. Ask Jimmy Fallon.

- I really liked Finesse Mitchell. I was sorry to see him taken off the cast. But I understand why he was axed. He didn't do many impressions, wasn't writing and also couldn't be used much for utility. Not much call for a full time Steadman.

- Releasing Rob Riggle was a huge mistake. I am glad to see he landed on his feet over at the Daily Show. Riggle was a real standout during 2005 and I am still scratching my head, Lorne. Chalk him up right underneath David Koechner and Sarah Silverman as the most premature SNL firings ever.

- I see a lot of potential in Bill Hader and Kirsten Wiig. His impressions are amazing, and she has devised some off-the-wall characters so far. I am still laughing at the "canderls" Target lady.

So basically my question becomes, can Alec Baldwin just host every week?



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Do you know they're singing about? Neither do I but I like to imagine it's jiggling boobies."

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

"I believe in Bigfoot. I've seen him twice. No, it's OK. You weren't there."

Friday, November 17, 2006 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Kirsten Wiig is SNL's greatest hope. I adore her.

Sunday, January 07, 2007 3:33:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com