homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, December 29, 2006

12 Synthetic Dancing Princesses.

How did you spend your Friday night? I am coaching little Griffin through the latest PS2 game I rented for her from Gamefly. You have to do little dances with Barbie to collect gems to help a kitten rescue a princess. It's not so terrible actually. I'll try to explain.

When I worked in England, there was a German guy who came in every Thursday night and drank baby mixers of Canada Dry. Since non-drinkers in England stick out like sore thumbs, I once asked why he was so fond of the ginger ale. His answer went something like this: "The amount you can party or go crazy in one lifetime is like a candle wick. Some people burn through theirs quicker than others, and I am all done." If I were to apply that analogy to my own life, the flame would have spread to the curtains and burnt down the entire house, ages ago.

I don't think it's unusual for maturity to be a sudden and conscious, black and white decision - and not necessarily a gradual progression. If I were married, had a mortgage or my own children I'd have mellowed out years ago, naturally. My personal development is synthetic and born of necessity. And I like it.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I also can relate to the German guy's comment. I totally understand what you are going through, I feel like I am going through a similar thing, am sick of partying too. My friday night consisted of going to Pier One and watching Ghost Whispered on CBS. 12 days of sobriety for me today!

Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger the duck said...

The signs are all there on this end too. You know you've reached the end of your wick when you decide to have dinner at 7pm at a restaurant and you're glad it's over at 8:30pm so you can go home and read in bed. Looking around at all the 'kids' on your way out of the pub and thinking "Godspeed. Have fun with that killer hangover tomorrow. Suckers."

Or...that you volunteer to give up a whole weekend to care for your local two year old so her parents can go sip Mojitos in Miami.

Welcome to Phase 3: Adulthood.

Though, I'm still not ready for Phase 4: Marriage & Two Year Old of My Own.

Stuck in between and contemplative about it. But at least I'm not hungover.

Saturday, December 30, 2006 1:36:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Considering we were in a dog park, that tumble could have ended up a lot worse. Definitely worthy of a Chevy Chase or John Ritter pratfall.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 2:04:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com