homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, September 10, 2004

Let's Analyze My Room At University

Here's another one of the photos Nick sent me. It's Ray-Ray in my room at 113 Janefield in Guelph, Ontario - circa 1996. 3 years after this photo was taken, I would return to this house to visit, and find the room painted blue with mirrors all along one of the longer walls. To my dismay, I learned that Venditti had rented the house to a "boy band" and my room had become the rehearsal space. Fer f*ck's sake.

But at this point in time, it was very much my own. And I thought I'd dissect some of the overabundant decor (keep in mind this is just one wall out of four).



Left to right. Well, there's Ray-Ray. That's a Shining poster above his head along the wall with the window. It's my favorite scene in the movie, when Nicholson is drinking at the bar with the ghostly tender. "I'm the sorta guy who likes to know who's buying his drinks." As we move right, you'll notice 4 Star Wars cups that I got at Taco Bell. Those were always really big with chicks I brought home. The R2D2 to the right of the cups is remote control operated, and I think I got it for Christmas in 1977.

The flags along the top of the room are Players Light promos that I stole from The Brass Taps. Then there's the enormous Smiths poster behing the entertainment center. Speaking of the Smiths, further to the right are every one of their CD box covers pasted on a bristol board. I was a little obsessed for several years. Then you have the enormous Queen is Dead poster that I always loved.

Above the CD covers is a picture of JFK lodged between 2 more Lush CD boxes. God, they were a great band. I got to see them live once when they opened for Jane's Addiction in 1991 at the Wallace Civic Center in Fitchburg, MA. Picture of Elvis and a Jerky Boys bumper sticker above that. If you've never played Jerky Battleship - do yourself a favor. Suede postcard.

The bookcase - stuffed kangaroo I got in Australia, Gorilla mug I got in Malaysia and stacks of CDs on the top. Books. Huge pile of Cliffs Notes top shelf to the right. And people wonder how I got through University. Bottom shelf, Movie Quotes board game. I think the box of trivial pursuit-esque cards is probably still in the office of the Brass Taps. Further right - metal Walker Muffler sign with John Madden on it. Illegible Sean Connery Goldfinger poster, and a Jamiroquai one below it.

What an interesting little time-capsule. If you're still awake, frig off.



3 Comments:

Blogger Jennie SMASH! said...

You are clearly very bored.

Friday, September 10, 2004 2:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like your boys have more dirt on your short stint at Guelph than Nicky Santoro ever head during his entire stay in Vegas.
Monster

Monday, September 13, 2004 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Venditti and I were roomates for nearly 4 years so he saw it all, Monster.

The only two times I ever called the cops were - obviously the T.H. incident which was out of control, and the time a Toronto metro cop was there off-duty and started threatening the bouncers. We took care of everything else in-house.

And I never once called the cops at the Boo Bar or the Bullring. Dick.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004 5:25:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com