homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Monday, September 13, 2004

Scottish Wizard Movie Quotes: Napoleon Dynamite

Kid on Bus: What are you gonna do today, Napoleon? Napoleon Dynamite : Whatever I feel like I wanna do, gosh!

I didn't like this movie until I actually saw it. Several friends asked me to go see it with them, but I declined. I thought I had it all figured out based solely on trailers I'd seen - nerdy guy in midwestern town gets picked on by jocks until somehow managing to overcome his nerdy hardships and win over the girl in the end. Unfortunately, that's pretty much what happens, so I was right to an extent.



But what surprised me about the film was that at first glance the Napoleon character is totally unlikeable. He's abrasive, grumpy, rude and living in a fantasy world to boot. A fantasy world chock full of Scottish wizards, bow staff battles and sweet jumps. He's mean to his grandmother, his brother, his teachers, the school nurse and even a Llama named Tina. But when new student Pedro arrives at the school, Napolean befriends him immediately and he lightens up a bit.

Napoleon Dynamite : Who are you gonna ask to the dance? Pedro : That girl right there. Napoleon Dynamite : Summer Wheatly? How the heck are you gonna do that? Pedro : Build her a cake or something.

"Build" a cake they do, and things start looking up for Napoleon on the social front - but every movie needs conflict, and when a girl enters the picture there are falling outs left right and center. Napoleon, through the discovery of an ancient dance lesson video, bails his friends out of a few tough situations and ultimately wins the day. And by the end of the movie you just love the kid.

Totally unformulaic, original, funny and with more heart than Ann and Nancy Wilson - I highly recommend this movie. It's bizarre cult following has led the movie studio to reintroduce it around the country in wide-release. Go see it, GOSH!

Deb : What are you drawing? Napoleon Dynamite : A liger. Deb : What's a liger? Napoleon Dynamite : It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Napolean to Deb "I have all your equipment in my locker. You should probably come get it because I can't fit my nunchunks in there anymore"

Napolean to Pedro - "There is like a boat load of gangs in this school - this one gang kept wanting me to join becuase I am pretty good with a bo-staff"

This one is for you Pye!!!
Uncle Rico - Yup - what does she look like
Kip - She ah... she's got sandy blonde hair... she's ah pretty good looking face... I just am getting really TO'ed because she hasn't even send me a full body shot"
and I will end on this one just for me...
Uncle Rico - Ughuh - How much you wann make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains... If coach would have put me in 4th quarter we would have been state champions - no doubt - no doubt in my mind"
Thanks for this blog Pye - One of the best movies of the year by far and I am sure I will see it like 100 times - gosh... idiots.
monster

Monday, September 13, 2004 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

I love it when Kip says T.O.'d - It obviously means "Ticked Off". He abbreviates to T.O.'d even though it's not really offensive (i.e. P.O.'d). He's such a spaz that he's just totally incapable of swearing on any level.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004 5:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOSH...idiots...Pedro : Do you think people will vote for me?
Napoleon Dynamite : Heck yes! I'd vote for you.
Pedro : Like what are my skills?
Napoleon Dynamite : Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at
hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache. (my fav qoute..and...:

Friday, September 24, 2004 5:35:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com