homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Monday, February 28, 2005

The Thompson Sub-Machine Cannon.

"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they've always worked for me".

I was a little sad when Hunter S. Thompson killed himself a week ago. Discovering his books and essays while in University was an eye-opening and welcome break from the conventions of my American lit classes. Thompson made it clear to me for the first time that when it comes to writing and journalism, there really are no rules. Narrative, wordplay - you can bastardize it all, find your own voice and still wind up with something both entertaining, unique and if it's called for - informative. It also doesn't hurt to scribble while under the influence. Which is a relief, as I currenly have my pants around my ankles and a Wild Turkey IV pumping into my right arm.

Thompson remains original, even in death. He often expressed his desire to have his ashes fired into the sky by a cannon, and to honor that wish his family has sent out a nationwide call they hope the rare breed which are cannon-owners will heed. Move the snow-blower out of the way and dust off your best Civil War replica boom sticks. Hunter needs you. And just what do you get if you agree to help fire Hunter out of your cannon? Why, the honor of firing Hunter out of your cannon, of course. Anyone who agrees to make the trip, cannon in tow, will be financing the trek themselves. I paid $8 in shipping for a miniscule phone battery last month. So best of luck to the fortunate volunteer. They also have to win an essay writing contest and entries must be exactly 100 words in length and sent via snail mail.

My apartment is full of all kinds of crap I've collected over the years. But alas, a cannon is not part of the clutter. So as my own personal tribute to Thompson, I fired open a bottle of Retsina and forced 2 of my friends who'd never seen it to watch Where The Buffalo Roam on Saturday night. Bill Murray's hilariously accurate portrayal came to pass after he befriended Thompson in the late 70s and spent a lot of time with him at his Owl Ranch in Colarado. It's said that it took Murray months to get out of character and he 'continued to act Gonzo through the beginning of the next season of Saturday Night Live, to the consternation/annoyance of cast and crew members'. But at least he has never been Al Franken.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

blowing your own head off HST style is the way to go. we should spend a long weekend in vegas on mesculin in his honour. did you see hillary swanks titties in that really ugly but wonderfully low cut dress? I miss doing acid

Monday, February 28, 2005 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least we still have The Rum Diary - should be good.
BW

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:02:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com