homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Faux Better Or Faux Worse.

Fran Healy's fauxhawk was the very first of it's kind I ever saw way back in 1999 - and I remember thinking it was a pretty cool idea. Much better than this trainwreck, anyway. By the time Travis played Glastonbury that year, the DVD recording of which is still my favorite concert film evah, it had grown an inch and been dyed red - but it still worked really well on his small, pea shaped head. He was even voted best haircut of the year. Jesus, they were a great frickin' band. What the heck happened?



How this funny, creative and quite likely accidental little idiosyncrasy evolved into the phenomenon it has in 2005 is a friggin' mystery to me, dear reader. I counted no less that seven of them during my walk home through downtown Boston this evening. Men, women, babies and long haired pets have all signed on for this silly little fruity fad. 20 years from now, fauxhawks will be what pink leg-warmers and skinny ties were to the 80's. R.I.R. - Retarded in Retrospect. And since I'm in the business of coining phrases this week, I'll admit it: Yes, folks - I'm a flagrant fauxmophobe.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other fads that have to go:

DJ's that think they're musicians.
Kids that think DJ's are musicians.
Musicians that like kids.

Friday, June 17, 2005 10:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't Travis that made it popular, it was David Beckham, it's just that America is always 2 years behind the European Fashion Czars...

Friday, June 17, 2005 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Jennie SMASH! said...

I actually love the fauxhawk. But only on men. Not on women or longhaired pets.

Monday, June 20, 2005 2:57:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

It would explain the sharp rise in shark sightings off the East Coast. They're not great whites at all, just snorkeling emos.

Monday, June 20, 2005 10:29:00 AM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com