homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, May 19, 2006

Please, Brunelli - Don't Hurt 'Em!

If I had the nads to take a stab at stand-up myself, I certainly wouldn't want to do it in a packed house of hilljacks in Haverhill my first time out of the gate. I saw more victims of the S & L crisis last night than you'd probably find at a demolition derby. In spite of the pressure, the hostility and the overabundance of men who resembled the 50-year-old cousins of Dalton, I am beyond happy to report that Brunelli fucking KILLED.



When we got to Garibaldi's - a musty-smelling, long and narrow social club with one ill-equipped bartender, the place was empty and I could tell Mark was just as nervous as all hell. About 5 of us had packed into V's car and made the hour-long trek after work, so we quickly ponied up to the bar for some relaxers. As we chatted amongst ourselves, Mark helped set up the stage with the rest of his classmates and the place slowly started to fill up with more extras from Roadhouse. And I mean fill the frig up. By the time the first comedian hit the stage, it was standing room only. I even think I briefly saw Jeff Healey carrying Bud Lite up from the basement - although he started loading the bottles into the back of an amplifier.

Mark was the second student, and fourth comedian to go on. Throughout the first three acts, even the professionals, the crowd in the back by the bar would not shut up, and it was hard to hear anything. After Brukkake got up and told a couple of jokes - the place fell silent, and with the exception of a couple bits - including the poop joke I think we all tried to persuede him to drop - he had the ratty clientele of the Double Deuce in the palm of his hand. The most popular bit - I am paraphrasing:

"My girlfriend is great, and as relationships are all about compromise I try to make it a two-way street whenever I can. So when she told me recently she wished we could be more open to experiencing other cultures, I immediately drove to Chinatown and picked up two Brazilian whooores for us to have a gangbang with (many laughs). Then, she said she'd always wanted to go to Mexico. So again, I compromised, and took her to Lawrence."

Frankly, I couldn't believe it. Brunelli might have a future at this sort of thing. You can't learn charisma or stage presence - you have it or you don't. He gots it.



1 Comments:

Blogger Dana Gillin said...

Bruno, you really did steal the show. We can all say we knew you when you were a cube dweller (or something like that). I was impressed and proud, Buddy...

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:03:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com