homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Somebody Get That Kid Some Pants.

I think that 6"4 is the perfect height, and I'm honored for being picked - by genetics, L. Ron Hubbard, Allah or whomever - to be part of such a wonderful club. You tower over 75% of the population, but thankfully don't classify as freakishly tall. Basketball is a professional option, you get to put the star on top of the Christmas tree, it's easy to forage for honeycomb and bird eggs - basically the pros far outweigh the cons. That is unless you're shopping for trousers.

Saturday afternoon a friend and I went out for an early dinner but stopped at the mall beforehand since we were in the neighborhood. I had put some cash aside for new pants (as you do) and immediately ran into Filene's to start what I knew from experience would be a long, arduous and disappointing process. You see, in addition to my long inseam (ladies?) I also have wide hips - size 38 to be exact. People who are my weight and height don't usually have size 38 hips - I guess I just have to blame my pesky pelvis for that. So finding pants that fit - which don't also look like I stole them from Mr. Creosote - is nothing less than an odyssey.

While I tried on pair after pair, my lovely assistant whipped around the store grabbing potentials to try on. Size 38 pants, off the rack, always have inseams of either 32 (too short) or 34 (too long). There are never 33 inseams to speak of, so I have to hunt high and low until I find a short one that's a little too long, or a long one that's a little too short. I came away with 4 new pairs that are varying degrees of ill-fitting, but passable. Just in case any of you were still wondering why I'm not a fashion model by now. Shaq has an easier time buying clothes.



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote the great statesman Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain." At pretty much the same dimensions (6'4 1/2", 38" waist and 34-35" inseam) I have a hell of a time finding pants that fit properly. It seems most pant manufacturers think that you are either tall and skinny or short and fat. I have even ventured into Mr. Big & Tall from time to time (take heart though, our size there is considered “petite”) and ended up having to get the pants altered – there a 38” waist garners you a 42” inseam (freaks!). I have come to accept the fact that when it comes to fashionable pants, I am going to have shell out for the alterations. I think I feel a spite coming on…

Dave, I think this is another strong case why you should move to Vancouver – we could both stand to double the size of our wardrobes.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have three options

1. Pay for the alterations yourself
2. Find a gf who can sew
3. Take a sewing course. It's not really that difficult to hem pants.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

38/33 sucks eh? when i had a 36 waist 5 years ago the 32 in seem fit no problem. its the ass that is pulling the hem up... I recently had the hem let down in a few suits by a half inch to compensate for ass expansion.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think I have ever been privy to men discussing waist sizes, hem lines, inseams and...(gasp!)...ass expansion?! Particularly when it is regarding themselves and not the opposite sex. Who knew? Thanks for the insight guys! And the chuckles too.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 11:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try shopping for a size 15 shoe!!!! Most places stop at 13 and finding a pair of 15's is next to impossible.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Graeme - It's calling me, baby. Believe it. I might be out there again soon. And the door is always open for you clowns here in Boston. You should come next month if Art is sent here.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're all a bunch of Jeanne fucking Beckers.
Go here http://www.fashiontelevision.com/jeanne/ask.asp and ask Jeanne what to do.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:39:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com