homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Friday, June 17, 2005

Friday's Quizzlet: Don't Be That Guy.

Appetizer: What's one word or phrase that you use a lot?
I use a lot of words from the British vernacular that I picked up when I lived over there, and that I continue to learn from watching far too many UKNova torrents. Some can translate over here, and some just sound completely out of place. It's not the same as affecting an accent - that's another kettle of fish of which I was never guilty of. Rather, I find myself saying UK-based words and phrases out of the blue. My favorite is 'sorted'. Which basically means 'problem-solved'. I have finally weaned "at the end of the day" out of my system because every time I heard myself say it, I contemplated suicide. It drives me crazy like a Fine Young Cannibal.

Soup: Name something you always seem to put off until the last minute.
There isn't any one thing. I have productivity spurts and valleys. On a good day, I'll crank and get every little task/chore done that I can possibly conceive. On a bad day, I may soil myself.

Salad: What was the last great bumper sticker you saw?
If you feel the need to desicrate your car with stupid stickers, then I have no interest in reading them because I'll already know you're a gaudy moron. And if you're still driving around with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on your car, like most of Massachusetts, for God's sake pull the cock out of your mouth already. But for research's sake, I ran a few quick searches. I think you'll agree - this proves my point quite well. But I'm guilty of that level of nerdery myself, sometimes. The other night before the Pixies concert, my sister, myself and some friends were sitting in a pub across the road from Agganis. I didn't want to be "that guy" in the Pixies tour shirt at the Pixies show - so I was rocking an obscure Frank Black solo T-shirt I didn't think anyone else would be wearing in a million years. Then, of course, this kid came up to me wearing it too and said "Nice shirt man!" And I realized I was worse than "that guy". I wasn't the kid wearing the Star Trek shirt. I was the kid wearing the Deep Space Nine shirt.

Main Course: If you could be invisible for one day, how would you spend it?
I would quietly rob a string of banks, pausing only to hit the odd health club locker room along the way. Was I the only kid whose mother used to take him into the women's locker room at the public swimming pool? What a fond, unhealthily-advanced childhood memory. I couldn't tell you the name of my 1st grade teacher, but I can recount to you in explicit detail my weekly afternoons spent eye-level with 2 dozen wookie-bushes at the Nepean Sportsplex.

Dessert: Describe your hair.
It will be sorely missed.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wookie Bushes! That mad me laugh out loud.

Friday, June 17, 2005 12:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first concert was Morrissey at Canada's Wonderland in 91. My sister and I both didn't know anything about concert/t-shirt etiquette, and we both thought it would be unhip to sport one of our many smiths or morrissey t-shirts to the show. So instead we opted for other concert t-shirts (sonic youth for me, depeche mode for her) that would verify our "alternative" cred. We had lawn seats so we decided to get there bright and early to wait for a good spot. So did the rest of the diehards. My sister and I were distraught when we realized that these cool, older morrissey fans that we were suddenly hanging with were ALL wearing smiths or morrissey t-shirts. What a burn. I could have been sporting my hard to find "shoplifters of the world unite" shirt, ensuring the respect of the cool 18 year olds, but instead i'm wearing a sonic youth shirt. They probably thought i was a fucking poser or something. From that incident on, if I have a shirt of the band i'm going to see, I'm likely wearing it. I'd rather be that guy with the band's shirt on than that guy without it.

and what's your take on buying a shirt at a show? i always thought it was pretty lame when someone buys a shirt and then puts it on immediately.

Friday, June 17, 2005 1:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Montreal for the F1 races last weekend and there were definitely some healthy fur burgers on display on St. Clappies.

Of course, these were mostly on the faces of wannabe french pimp looking Qubecois poser douschebags, but there were there nonetheless.

Friday, June 17, 2005 3:15:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com