homedavid.pyegalleryguestmap • myspace • contact • squidoo • rss

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Hiss Me You Fool!

Just to recap, I have had Roach Brooch acting as an affiliate site for Black Chandelier - where they sell the live cockroach brooches you've been seeing on TV and reading about. This means, if someone clicks through to their site from mine and buys a roach, I get credit for the sale thanks to a tracking system, and I get 10% of the roach bounty. Obviously, I ran several test orders after I set it all up to make sure that it worked.

The problem is, they sent one of these things to me by mistake. Actually, I'm not entirely sure it was a mistake because the guy emailed me yesterday and said he wanted me to have a mascot. Either way, when I got up Tuesday morning, there was a package waiting for me from Utah and I knew exactly what it had to be - A live Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.



Not wanting the thing to die, I ordered a terrarium online and it arrived yesterday at my office. I brought the Utah parcel into the office, set up the tank, called a few of my coworkers over to observe, and carefully introduced the ginormous beast to its new home. "Hissy" as I named him is currently chilling on my windowsill eating the heck out of a piece of banana from the Park Plaza Au Bon Pain.

I'm not one for bugs, but it's a pretty cool creature. In addition to it's size and girth (it doesn't look much like a traditional roach) it has the accoutrements that warranted it a place on America's Top Model and bring it's price tag up to $80 before shipping - it's encrusted in a pattern of multi-colored jewels, and also comes with a silver chain you can clip on to this belt it has which acts like a leash. You pin it to yourself, and the critter can roam around your shoulders and chest unchecked. Hence, it's a roach brooch.

I edited a bunch of photos of the adventure last night, which I am going to use on Roach Brooch, so I figured I'd upload them to my own galleries so my readers can see the full drama unfold. I'm still not sure what is to become of Hissy. I am in talks with a friend to give him to her daughter as a pet. Your first thought is - what would a 5 year old girl want with a cockroach? But then you have to remember the jewelry angle - it looks like a demented, post-apocalyptic My Little Pony. So stranger things have happened. Enjoy the photos, and remember - my ownership of Hissy was an accident. I swear I don't own any wizard hats or 20-sided dice.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that thing is fucking ugly! Spidersplat's new mascot, I love it...

Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

Since many have asked - It is a male, and is incapable of any sort of reproduction. In fact, the designer only ships males to ensure nothing nasty happens.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 1:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

something is not right about all of this....

Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Pye said...

I am not going to argue with you. Next I'm planning to grow a ponytail, gain 30 pounds and start collecting rare editions of X-Men comics.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:04:00 PM  
Social bookmark this

Post a Comment

<< Home

davepye.com web
 

davepye.com